Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone recognize this graphic from their desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ upower -d
    Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/mouse_0003o046DoC52Bx0007
    native-path: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-4/4-4:1.2/0003:046D:C52B.0006/0003:046D:C52B.0007
    vendor: Logitech, Inc.
    model: M705
    serial: BFE028CD
    power supply: no
    updated: Fri 01 Aug 2014 08:41:41 PM EDT (50 seconds ago)
    has history: yes
    has statistics: no
    mouse
    present: yes
    rechargeable: yes
    state: discharging
    percentage: 50%

Daemon:
    daemon-version: 0.9.23
    can-suspend: yes
    can-hibernate: no
    on-battery: no
    on-low-battery: no
    lid-is-closed: no
    lid-is-present: no
    is-docked: no
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$

I am still confused. Is this relating to the batter in my cordless mouse? I thought it was about a laptop, and it is in my Desktop PC that the problem exists. Thanks fort the follow-up. Maybe we will find a solution to the problem.
    Yes, see the red highlighted text in your response.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
      ... now i know where to look and ill have a play with it.. it was a rather impressive luxury indicator when it worked
      I see you are using a Sony VAIO. I purchased a Sony VAIO laptop for myself as a retirement gift six years ago. My grandson is now using it. There is a module called sony-laptop. You can check to see if it is on your installation by using the modinfo command in a Konsole:
      modinfo sony-laptop.
      Code:
      $ modinfo sony-laptop
      filename:       /lib/modules/3.13.0-32-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/sony-laptop.ko
      version:        0.6
      license:        GPL
      description:    Sony laptop extras driver (SPIC and SNC ACPI device)
      author:         Stelian Pop, Mattia Dongili
      srcversion:     5C6E050349475558A231C59
      alias:          acpi*:SNY6001:*
      alias:          acpi*:SNY5001:*
      depends:        
      intree:         Y
      vermagic:       3.13.0-32-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 
      signer:         Magrathea: Glacier signing key
      sig_key:        5E:3C:0F:9C:A6:E3:65:43:53:5F:A2:BB:5B:70:9E:84:F1:6D:A7:C7
      sig_hashalgo:   sha512
      parm:           debug:set this to 1 (and RTFM) if you want to help the development of this driver (int)
      parm:           no_spic:set this if you don't want to enable the SPIC device (int)
      parm:           compat:set this if you want to enable backward compatibility mode (int)
      parm:           mask:set this to the mask of event you want to enable (see doc) (ulong)
      parm:           camera:set this to 1 to enable Motion Eye camera controls (only use it if you have a C1VE or C1VN model) (int)
      parm:           minor:minor number of the misc device for the SPIC compatibility code, default is -1 (automatic) (int)
      parm:           kbd_backlight:set this to 0 to disable keyboard backlight, 1 to enable it (default: no change from current value) (int)
      parm:           kbd_backlight_timeout:meaningful values vary from 0 to 3 and their meaning depends on the model (default: no change from current value) (int)
      It has several "parm"s that can be used to turn things off or on. If it is not loaded you can install it using
      sudo modprobe sony-laptop

Also, use modinfo to see if your installation has the sonypi module on it. If not the package sensors-applet. contains it. It's written for the GNOME panel, but who knows. KDE's GNOME compatibility might still be working.

Also, in the past on some Sony's, this was necessary:
      http://askubuntu.com/questions/28848...i-osi-linux-do
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 02, 2014, 11:01 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Wow, thanks!

having a play with it now, module exists and loads,
        has documentation, some copy/paste:
        Your mission, should you accept it, is to try finding out what
        those entries are for, by reading/writing random values from/to those
        files and find out what is the impact on your laptop.

also when they say (from documentation):

* The sony-laptop and sonypi drivers do not interact at all. In the
        future, sonypi will be removed and replaced by sony-laptop.

*i think the future* relates to now, finally we are there, he he

while the module populates /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop, i am still unsure what controls my screen brightness, its great that it works lol
        my sys.devices.platform/sony-laptop contains:

/sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop$ ls -alt
        total 0
        -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 battery_care_health
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 battery_care_limiter
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 kbd_backlight
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 kbd_backlight_timeout
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 lid_resume_S3
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 lid_resume_S4
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 lid_resume_S5
        -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 modalias
        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Aug 3 09:48 power
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 thermal_control
        -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 thermal_profiles
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 3 09:48 touchpad
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Aug 3 00:21 subsystem -> ../../../bus/platform
        drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Aug 1 10:32 .
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Aug 1 10:32 driver -> ../../../bus/platform/drivers/sony-laptop
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 1 10:32 uevent
        drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 0 Aug 1 10:32 ..

the sony function keys work from install, in kde and in cinnamon (had to give mintlinux a spin), but im yet to figure out why
        any ideas?
        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Yes, see the red highlighted text in your response.

What would happen if I removed the item in red identified as: mouse_0003o046DoC52Bx0007, or /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-4/4-4:1.2/0003:046D:C52B.0006/0003:046D:C52B.0007

Would the mouse continue to work and the image leave the screen? I don't mind the capability in my computer, I just don't want the Image displayed onscreen. Thanks again.

I have several enloop batteries charging, charged, and in my appliances that use batteries, so if my mouse goes dead, I can replace and recharge immediately, and do not need the monitoring help.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
            What would happen if I removed the item in red identified as: mouse_0003o046DoC52Bx0007, or /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-4/4-4:1.2/0003:046D:C52B.0006/0003:046D:C52B.0007

Would the mouse continue to work and the image leave the screen? I don't mind the capability in my computer, I just don't want the Image displayed onscreen. Thanks again.

I have several enloop batteries charging, charged, and in my appliances that use batteries, so if my mouse goes dead, I can replace and recharge immediately, and do not need the monitoring help.
            The /sys directory doesn't really exist, and neither do the files inside it. It is a virtual file system created during the boot process by the kernel and drivers which are loaded, or are added, changed or removed by using kernel modules with modprobe or rmmod.

A lot of system information is obtained from reading those files, like if you have batteries or the state of your battery charge if you do, etc...

At your level of experience and expertise I'd recommend that you not mess with /sys or the other virtual file systems, like /dev or /proc.

Comment

Interesting information. Never heard about that until now. I opened my laptop, and because the battery was low, I clicked on the Icon that is located on the panel, near the audio Icon. There was the Image I wanted to remove on my Desktop PC. I could see how useful it would be if used on a laptop. Nonetheless, I still don't see any practical use as an image on my Desktop PC. I hate what I am facing; I'll give it another day, and if nothing shows up, I guess I will have to re-install the OS. I don't look forward to the configuration work and re-installation of applications, but I guess that is my destiny. Then I will just have to hope it does not reappear after the re-installation of the OS, or I also hope that new, never experienced, glitches that seem to appear on every fresh installation do not muck it up again.

It is hard not to get discouraged, when I am so close to a system that works well. Thanks for your patience and effort. You guys are terrific.

The /sys directory doesn't really exist, and neither do the files inside it. It is a virtual file system created during the boot process by the kernel and drivers which are loaded, or are added, changed or removed by using kernel modules with modprobe or rmmod.

A lot of system information is obtained from reading those files, like if you have batteries or the state of your battery charge if you do, etc...

At your level of experience and expertise I'd recommend that you not mess with /sys or the other virtual file systems, like /dev or /proc.

Comment

You don't have to re-install. If there is an icon in the system tray that you do not want to see then right mouse on an empty area in the system tray and right click on "System Tray Settings" that appears in the pop-up dialog. In that window that appears choose "Hide" for the icons you don't want to see. If you want to remove them altogether then instead of selecting "System Tray Settings" select "Panel Options" instead. Click on "Unlock widgets". The dialog will go away. Right click on a blank area of the System Tray and select "Panel Options", then select "Panel Settings". Now move your mouse over the icon you want to remove and right click on it. The dialog that pops up gives you the option to "remove" the widget. BE CAREFUL to NOT remove the System Tray! When you are done, close the panel options dialog and lock the widgets again.

You can add a widget to the system tray by selecting them using the "Add Widgets" option. Only those widgets that are designed to be added to the System Tray can be added to the System Tray.

Comment

I am pretty sure I fixed the problem. The image left the screen; it happens anyway from time to time, so I will wait a day to see if they stay off. I do believe your instruction solved the problem, and I can't tell you how grateful I am. They were a humongus pain in the nichta. Thanks my friend. You guys continue to amaze me.

You don't have to re-install. If there is an icon in the system tray that you do not want to see then right mouse on an empty area in the system tray and right click on "System Tray Settings" that appears in the pop-up dialog. In that window that appears choose "Hide" for the icons you don't want to see. If you want to remove them altogether then instead of selecting "System Tray Settings" select "Panel Options" instead. Click on "Unlock widgets". The dialog will go away. Right click on a blank area of the System Tray and select "Panel Options", then select "Panel Settings". Now move your mouse over the icon you want to remove and right click on it. The dialog that pops up gives you the option to "remove" the widget. BE CAREFUL to NOT remove the System Tray! When you are done, close the panel options dialog and lock the widgets again.

You can add a widget to the system tray by selecting them using the "Add Widgets" option. Only those widgets that are designed to be added to the System Tray can be added to the System Tray.

Comment

The image has returned, my friend. It comes and goes, but mostly comes. I am free of it only short periods of time.

I think I found the culprit, though. Nevertheless, even though it is an installed package, the computer will not allow it's removal. in the following, the first three lines are the Error message refusing its removal:

Unable to Mark Package – Muon Package Manager

The “acpid” package could not be marked for installation or upgrade:

The information that follows is supplied inside of the Muon Package Manager. I clicked to remove the package, but when I attempted to do so, the removal was rejected with the above Error message.

Acpid
                    is the name of the package.

Next is how it appeared when I selected removal:

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface event daemon Installed Remove

Mark for: Unmark

Modern computers support the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) to allow intelligent power management on your system and to query battery and configuration status.

How can I find out if the "Acpid" package is needed for some other application? If it is not essential, can I force it's removal? Of all the packages that provide such monitoring capability, Acpid is the only one that is installed on my system.

Lots of people have the selfsame problem with no current solution. Although it is a genious of an application, it is less valuable than the open space in my case.

Comment

I noticed when I connected my Iphone to recharge, that my Iphone battery statistics were added to the list fixed on the screen. Four items now, and almost assuredly it is a package that monitors added battery powered hardware. I really like what the application does, it just screws up normal use of my computer by muddling up more important tools. I think this is a problem worth fixing, so I am not going to give up by an attempt to reinstall as a cure, even though it is a major annoyance. Thanks for the input and attempts to help.

It sure would be nice if I could have it as an Icon fixing it to the panel rather than occupying desk space, unable to move.
                      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 05, 2014, 10:42 PM. Reason: after thought

Comment

Sure it can be nice to have external devices show their battery status but once you disable the Battery Monitor in the System Tray it should stay away, regardless of external devices.

In other words, double check you disabled this Battery Monitor.

Comment

I am confused. When I right-click on Battery Management, I cannot find any way to disable it.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                          Sure it can be nice to have external devices show their battery status but once you disable the Battery Monitor in the System Tray it should stay away, regardless of external devices.

In other words, double check you disabled this Battery Monitor.

Comment

It's not the battery monitor you have to right-click but the space it is in, the System Tray.

This will give you two options, one is to configure the System Tray.
                            Upon selecting a window will open and after pressing the button to Unlock Widgets you can un-tick the Battery Monitor.

Now press Apply (at the bottom), and lock the Widgets before clicking OK to close the window.

Comment

Dear Teunis,

When I am extremely happy, like seeing my children and grandchildren, I break out in laughter. I can't seem to control it.

This problem has been such a thorn in my side that I really did not realize how much it affected me. Currently the Battery Monitor was off the screen, so I won't be sure it is gone until a little time passes; it is there most of the time. In any event, when I found the pace to uncheck the Battery Monitor, I broke out in Laughter; I am still having difficulty stopping, because I am confident of the cure. You are simply amazing. How did you ever find the setting anyway? I am so grateful I could eat a bug. Have a wonderful day, you have made mine very special. I am pretty sure I will still have a smile on my face when I go to bed, in about a dozen hours.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                              It's not the battery monitor you have to right-click but the space it is in, the System Tray.

This will give you two options, one is to configure the System Tray.
                              Upon selecting a window will open and after pressing the button to Unlock Widgets you can un-tick the Battery Monitor.

Now press Apply (at the bottom), and lock the Widgets before clicking OK to close the window.

Comment

It makes me happy to see a happy fellow Kubuntu user

Good luck with your new Kubuntu, I hope the remaining issues can be sorted without a fresh install.

How did I find out? My mouse has three buttons and I like to try them all, it's also called 'curiosity'

Comment

Working...
                                X