Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone recognize this graphic from their desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone recognize this graphic from their desktop?

This graphic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unwanted Icon3.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	648690

Has anyone had this on their Desktop?

I believe it first appeared after I installed a new monitor. I have been trying to remove it for several months without success. I don't believe it is a watermark.

It is located on the upper left corner of my Desktop and interferes with my StartMenu Panel.

I have been considering re-installing my Operating System, Kubuntu 14.04, because it may have appeared after the upgrade and be part of the new distribution. In my case that would involve extensive work and time, so I would like to avoid doing it, but the intrusion is so undesirable, and because I have never had my system function so well, I hesitate.

Sure. It looks similar to my KDE 4.13.2 system tray power icon, when clicked on.

Name:	powericon_display.jpg
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	642344

The upper progress bar says my battery is charged. The middle one purports to read the charge in the battery of my optical mouse, etc...

What does your whole screen look like? Have you tried to change the wall paper?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Boy am I happy. Someone finally recognized the image. Hi my friend. I am pretty sure I have found the culprit. The image comes and goes, quite often. I get brief respits of it leaving the screen, but usually not for very long.

Yes, I have changed the wallpaper, in fact I did so recently. In doing so, I got rid of an offensive watermark, however this image stayed. At the moment, it is offscreen.

I will send you a screenprint of my Desktop; the theme is transparent, called Bare Naked, so the background of images and panels and the like are invisible. You will understand my screenprint when you see the wallpaper, which is mostly Black. Nevertheless, I am sure it is the same image just on a different background and theme.

Name:	MyDesktop1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	642346

Since we know what it is, how do I remove it, permanently? My StartMenu Panel is on the upper-screen, and when the image is present, it disrupts my StartMenu.

I have two monitors, the left monitor has the Kmenu Icon on the left and upper screen. The right monitor has the Kmenu Icon on the upper right screen. Both panels hide when not in use and appear when the cursor is on the top of the screen. My image rarely leaves the screen, so if yours only appears when you click on an option; I am not so fortunate. Mine can stay for several days then leave for a couple of hours only to reappear.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Sure. It looks similar to my KDE 4.13.2 system tray power icon, when clicked on.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5106[/ATTACH]

The upper progress bar says my battery is charged. The middle one purports to read the charge in the battery of my optical mouse, etc...

When you mentioned energy saving, I went to the System Settings entry for enerty saving selections. I made changes in that section, a section of System Settings that did not apply to me in the past. Apparently there were some preset options in the recent upgrade. Here is what I did, just in case my new configuration is correct.

Energy Saving Nothing checked.

Activity Settings
      New Activity x Don't use special settings I just changed
      this setting from PC running on AC power.
      Desktop x Define a special behavior I just changed
      this to:
      x Never shutdown the screen
      x Never suspend or shutdown the computer
      _ Always sleep after 1 min (unchecked)
      _ Use separate settings (advanced users only) (unchecked)

New Activity

x Don't use special settings (is checked) nothing else.

Advanced Settings

Events Nothing is selected.

I won't know if my setting changes are affective, because the image is currently off screen, but if it remains off the screen for a day, I will know that you are responsible, once more, for saving my bacon. I'll let you know if it returns and leave the post active for another day before marking as Solved. Thanks friend.

Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jul 24, 2014, 11:50 AM. Reason: forgot to include the attachment

Comment

Name:	with problem.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	642347

This image includes the problem.

It has returned, so the re-configuration attempt failed.

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
        Boy am I happy. Someone finally recognized the image. Hi my friend. I am pretty sure I have found the culprit. The image comes and goes, quite often. I get brief respits of it leaving the screen, but usually not for very long.

Yes, I have changed the wallpaper, in fact I did so recently. In doing so, I got rid of an offensive watermark, however this image stayed. At the moment, it is offscreen.

I will send you a screenprint of my Desktop; the theme is transparent, called Bare Naked, so the background of images and panels and the like are invisible. You will understand my screenprint when you see the wallpaper, which is mostly Black. Nevertheless, I am sure it is the same image just on a different background and theme.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5111[/ATTACH]

Since we know what it is, how do I remove it, permanently? My StartMenu Panel is on the upper-screen, and when the image is present, it disrupts my StartMenu.

I have two monitors, the left monitor has the Kmenu Icon on the left and upper screen. The right monitor has the Kmenu Icon on the upper right screen. Both panels hide when not in use and appear when the cursor is on the top of the screen. My image rarely leaves the screen, so if yours only appears when you click on an option; I am not so fortunate. Mine can stay for several days then leave for a couple of hours only to reappear.
        Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jul 25, 2014, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I can partially reproduce your problem by placing a Battery Monitor widget on the screen, then clicking on the icon. It throws up what you are seeing somewhere near the widget. If you have more than one virtual desktop your battery monitor widget may be off your primary screen but the progress meters are displaying on it.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

This image is on my Desktop computer, no batteries are involved to power the computer. I don't know where a battery monitor is located that will monitor batteries, ie. mouse, motherboard, etc., but not being a laptop, I have never considered a need for that type of widget. Is the widget you are referring found in the Add Widgets part of when I open through the acorn? If it is, why does it not provide removal or resizing or relocation opportunities when Widgets are unlocked? (I left a private message for you in Profile on another matter, did you get it?)

By the way, I believe we are similar age; wish I had your youthful appearance, .

There are only a few of you experts who can handle the more difficult problems. You, Snowhog, Dibl, and Steve Riley and a few others. I have two other problems that are a nightmare to fix, because I am just plain toooooo stupid. No matter how careful I am to follow instructions, I don't seem to solve my problem. One is getting my Lazer Printer to work, the other is getting Bluetooth to work. I have tried on several occasions to solve the problem, but with some very obvious professional help, I have yet to have success. Not having a printer has caused no end to my problems. I have to copy to a file, put it on a flash drive, then go someplace to get the copies made. It costs about $40 and a lot of time, each time hard copies are necessary. Additionally, with the added health concerns that come with old age, I have Bluetooth hardware that monitors and assists me to keep healthy. It is Bluetooth and would be a great benefit to my life, but lack of electrons in my brain provide a barrier to success in getting it setup properly.

Believe me, I have Googled my brains out, thinking some tutorial or other source offered differently may get me through the process. Oh, to have your intelligence. Brother Technical help wants $120 to fix the problem over the telephone, but purchasing the printer for $99 makes the fix morally offensive to me, so I live with the problem rather than the solution. I am hesitant about leaving my telephone number on this post, but would provide it through the Profile page, if you would consider calling me on any of these issues.

With these three problems solved, my computer will work perfectly. I just love my computer and Kubuntu. My system just flies. It presents everything instantly and the Video is just breathtaking. Such clarity in not available in a theatre, compared to a movie played on my computer. When I croak, I hope someone in the family has presence of mind to keep my computer and use it.

I know I have said it before, but you and all those mentioned, when I refer to the real problem solvers in this forum, are such a blessing to Linux users. Your patience, thoughtfullness, and kindness is so gratefully appreciated. I sometimes wonder if you are aware of the value of what you provide so generously through this forum. I personally can't thank you enough. Most cordially and cudos, friend .

I can partially reproduce your problem by placing a Battery Monitor widget on the screen, then clicking on the icon. It throws up what you are seeing somewhere near the widget. If you have more than one virtual desktop your battery monitor widget may be off your primary screen but the progress meters are displaying on it.

Comment

.... Is the widget you are referring found in the Add Widgets part of when I open through the acorn? If it is, why does it not provide removal or resizing or relocation opportunities when Widgets are unlocked?
              Yes, it is, and, they do. But, if you have more than one desktop (virtual) it is possible for the widget to be on the one that is not showing but the dialog can be displayed on the one that is.

(I left a private message for you in Profile on another matter, did you get it?)
              Sorry, I didn't get it.

By the way, I believe we are similar age; wish I had your youthful appearance, .
              I'm 73. That picture is only 68 and was shrunk, loosing a LOT of detail. My face is one only a wife of 52 years could love!

.... One is getting my Lazer Printer to work, the other is getting Bluetooth to work. I have tried on several occasions to solve the problem, but with some very obvious professional help, I have yet to have success. Not having a printer has caused no end to my problems. I have to copy to a file, put it on a flash drive, then go someplace to get the copies made. It costs about $40 and a lot of time, each time hard copies are necessary. Additionally, with the added health concerns that come with old age, I have Bluetooth hardware that monitors and assists me to keep healthy. It is Bluetooth and would be a great benefit to my life, but lack of electrons in my brain provide a barrier to success in getting it setup properly.

.... I am hesitant about leaving my telephone number on this post, but would provide it through the Profile page, if you would consider calling me on any of these issues.
              I wouldn't put a phone number in the profile. Phone calls are too expensive, anyway. I prefer Mumble connections. However, my experience helping people over the phone, or with Mumble has taught me that the best way to handle such problems remotely is to install TeamViewer9 on your computer and then email me your connection ID and password. I can run TeamViewer9 on my computer and run yours as if I was setting there in front of it. My keyboard and mouse controls your box.

Comment

I had desktops set at 1, but changed to 2, when I was there, so I don't think it is a desktop problem.

Yes, it is, and, they do. But, if you have more than one desktop (virtual) it is possible for the widget to be on the one that is not showing but the dialog can be displayed on the one that is.

Sorry, I didn't get it.

I'm 73. That picture is only 68 and was shrunk, loosing a LOT of detail. My face is one only a wife of 52 years could love!

I wouldn't put a phone number in the profile. Phone calls are too expensive, anyway. I prefer Mumble connections. However, my experience helping people over the phone, or with Mumble has taught me that the best way to handle such problems remotely is to install TeamViewer9 on your computer and then email me your connection ID and password. I can run TeamViewer9 on my computer and run yours as if I was setting there in front of it. My keyboard and mouse controls your box.

Comment

It's probably a plasma config problem, you could perfom the following:

1. open a konsole window, and run the following commands in sequence:
                  2. kquitapp plasma-desktop (quits plasma)
                  3. mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc.bak (back up your current configuration)
                  4. plasma-desktop (restarts plasma with a clean configuration file...which means you have to readd your widgets)

If that doesn't work, post back and I'll give you the commands to restore your backed up configuration

Comment

I did as you redommended; after opening again, the configuration seemed to return, except my custom Desktop Background. I can't remember where the folder is that would hold my image, but I am searching. Today, after being logged in for about 24 hours since the repair you recommended, the image returned. It must not have anything to do with Plazma Widgets. I returned to post to active in the hope someone can help me fix this problem and perhaps provide the address for my Desktop Background. I have a jpg of my Desktop Image in my Pictures folder. Thanks for trying.

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    It's probably a plasma config problem, you could perfom the following:

1. open a konsole window, and run the following commands in sequence:
                    2. kquitapp plasma-desktop (quits plasma)
                    3. mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc.bak (back up your current configuration)
                    4. plasma-desktop (restarts plasma with a clean configuration file...which means you have to readd your widgets)

If that doesn't work, post back and I'll give you the commands to restore your backed up configuration

Comment

I did as you redommended; after opening again, the configuration seemed to return, except my custom Desktop Background. I can't remember where the folder is that would hold my image, but I am searching.
                      If you still have the backup file you made in step #3, you can find the path to your previous wallpaper with:
                      grep "^wallpaper=" ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc.bak

Today, after being logged in for about 24 hours since the repair you recommended, the image returned. It must not have anything to do with Plazma Widgets.
                      If the image disappeared when resetting applet configuration, it probably is widget related...but there is something funny that I haven't seen before going on there if it reappeared after a while...do you have the battery monitor enabled in your notification area (the thing that shows application/widget icons...commonly next to the clock widget)

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5106[/ATTACH]

hi,

would anyone mind if i ask something related to this but not contributing to the thread?
                        I'ts just that my power tab/monitor does not show my mouse battery level any more, it used to.
                        would anyone know how to get it back?

thanks in advance
                        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

The command upower -d shows:
                          Code:
                          $ upower -d
                          Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC0
                            native-path:          AC0
                            power supply:         yes
                            updated:              Fri 01 Aug 2014 08:27:22 AM CDT (19959 seconds ago)
                            has history:          no
                            has statistics:       no
                            line-power
                              online:             yes

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
                            native-path:          BAT0
                            vendor:               OEM
                            model:                AS10D41
                            updated:              Fri 01 Aug 2014 08:27:27 AM CDT (19954 seconds ago)
                            has history:          yes
                            has statistics:       yes
                            battery
                              present:             yes
                              rechargeable:        yes
                              state:               fully-charged
                              energy:              41.096 Wh
                              energy-empty:        0 Wh
                              energy-full:         41.096 Wh
                              energy-full-design:  48.4 Wh
                              energy-rate:         0 W
                              voltage:             12.153 V
                              percentage:          100%
                              capacity:            84.9091%
                              technology:          lithium-ion

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/mouse_0003o046DoC52Fx0002
                            native-path:          /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.1/0003:046D:C52F.0002
                            vendor:               Logitech, Inc.
                            model:                M185/M225
                            serial:               0320E001
                            power supply:         no
                            updated:              Fri 01 Aug 2014 01:59:21 PM CDT (40 seconds ago)
                            mouse
                              state:               discharging
                              percentage:          90%

Daemon:
                            daemon-version:  0.9.23
                            can-suspend:     yes
                            can-hibernate:   no
                            on-battery:      no
                            on-low-battery:  no
                            lid-is-closed:   no
                            lid-is-present:  yes
                            is-docked:       no
                          jerry@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~$
                          What does your's show?

If you get a short listing with a bunch of "no"'s the code may have been pulled for your hardware. Mine used to show 55% charge left regardless of the charge in the battery. An update back in June in the KDE 4.13.1 code appeared to fix it.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 01, 2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ upower -d
                            Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/mouse_0003o046DoC52Bx0007
                            native-path: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-4/4-4:1.2/0003:046D:C52B.0006/0003:046D:C52B.0007
                            vendor: Logitech, Inc.
                            model: M705
                            serial: BFE028CD
                            power supply: no
                            updated: Fri 01 Aug 2014 08:41:41 PM EDT (50 seconds ago)
                            has history: yes
                            has statistics: no
                            mouse
                            present: yes
                            rechargeable: yes
                            state: discharging
                            percentage: 50%

Daemon:
                            daemon-version: 0.9.23
                            can-suspend: yes
                            can-hibernate: no
                            on-battery: no
                            on-low-battery: no
                            lid-is-closed: no
                            lid-is-present: no
                            is-docked: no
                            steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$

I am still confused. Is this relating to the batter in my cordless mouse? I thought it was about a laptop, and it is in my Desktop PC that the problem exists. Thanks fort the follow-up. Maybe we will find a solution to the problem.

The command upower -d shows:
                            Code:
                            $ upower -d
                            Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC0
                              native-path:          AC0
                              updated:              Fri 01 Aug 2014 08:27:22 AM CDT (19959 seconds ago)
                              has history:          no
                              line-power
                                online:             yes

native-path:          BAT0
                              vendor:               OEM
                              model:                AS10D41
                              updated:              Fri 01 Aug 2014 08:27:27 AM CDT (19954 seconds ago)
                              has statistics:       yes
                              battery
                                state:               fully-charged
                                energy:              41.096 Wh
                                energy-empty:        0 Wh
                                energy-full:         41.096 Wh
                                energy-full-design:  48.4 Wh
                                energy-rate:         0 W
                                voltage:             12.153 V
                                percentage:          100%
                                capacity:            84.9091%
                                technology:          lithium-ion

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/mouse_0003o046DoC52Fx0002
                              native-path:          /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.1/0003:046D:C52F.0002
                              vendor:               Logitech, Inc.
                              model:                M185/M225
                              serial:               0320E001
                              power supply:         no
                              updated:              Fri 01 Aug 2014 01:59:21 PM CDT (40 seconds ago)
                              mouse
                                state:               discharging
                                percentage:          90%

Daemon:
                              daemon-version:  0.9.23
                              can-suspend:     yes
                              can-hibernate:   no
                              on-battery:      no
                              on-low-battery:  no
                              lid-is-closed:   no
                              lid-is-present:  yes
                              is-docked:       no
                            jerry@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~$
                            What does your's show?

If you get a short listing with a bunch of "no"'s the code may have been pulled for your hardware. Mine used to show 55% charge left regardless of the charge in the battery. An update back in June in the KDE 4.13.1 code appeared to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Grey!

mine is showing 0% which might be why the applet doesnt have it anymore:

$ upower -d
                              Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_ADP1
                              native-path: ADP1
                              power supply: yes
                              updated: Sat 02 Aug 2014 00:02:06 EST (39272 seconds ago)
                              has history: no
                              has statistics: no
                              line-power
                              online: yes

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/mouse_hid_90o7fo61o05o1do18_battery
                              native-path: hid-90:7f:61:05:1d:18-battery
                              model: VGP-BMS21
                              power supply: no
                              updated: Sat 02 Aug 2014 10:56:31 EST (7 seconds ago)
                              has statistics: yes
                              mouse
                              percentage: 0%

native-path: BAT0
                              vendor: Sony Corp.
                              power supply: yes
                              updated: Sat 02 Aug 2014 10:56:28 EST (10 seconds ago)
                              has statistics: yes
                              battery
                              energy: 41.95 Wh
                              energy-empty: 0 Wh
                              energy-full: 52.76 Wh
                              energy-full-design: 62.64 Wh
                              energy-rate: 0 W
                              voltage: 11.758 V
                              percentage: 79%
                              capacity: 84.2273%
                              technology: lithium-ion
                              History (charge):
                              1406940922 79.000 discharging
                              1406940922 0.000 unknown
                              History (rate):
                              1406940922 0.000 unknown

Daemon:
                              daemon-version: 0.9.23
                              can-suspend: yes
                              can-hibernate: yes
                              on-battery: no
                              on-low-battery: no
                              lid-is-closed: no
                              lid-is-present: yes
                              is-docked: no

It might be the mouse, its a bluetooth mouse that came with the laptop, i think right from the start the battery power was showing pretty fast discharge, like 2% or 3% per day.

anyway, thanks again, now i know where to look and ill have a play with it.. it was a rather impressive luxury indicator when it worked
                              K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Working...
                              X