This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me get rid of item on desktop...

I just reinstalled Kubuntu (14.04), and in the process, configured my printer. I was left with an item stuck in the upper-left of my screen - it has the name of the printer, and a sliding switch that toggles between 'pause' and 'idle'. There seems to be no way to kill it, or even move it. Right-clicking on it is the same as right-clicking on the desktop. Double-clicking brings of the printer manager - same as what you get from the task bar.

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this thing? It didn't appear there in my last installation. I tried deleting the printer, and now there's a big blue 'no printers have been configured or discovered' notice. Help!

TIA...

Sounds like you have the printer widget enabled on your desktop. You should be able to click the desktop caret (usually in the upper right corner of your screen), then on the pulldown menu, click 'unlock widgets'.

After doing this, mouse over the printer icon on your desktop and you'll see a seethrough menu bar appear with an 'X' at the bottom. Click the 'X' and the widget will be removed from the desktop.

When finished, you'll also probably want to go back to the desktop menu caret and lock the on screen widgets again to keep things from being moved around on your desktop.

cheers,
    bill
    sigpic
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the reply, bill. But that's the funny thing - it's not like a standard widget. Widgets are unlocked, but that menu bar doesn't appear as it does with other widgets.

Any other ideas?

Comment

I have the selfsame problem and have had it for several months. I posted without response. I even included a screenprint of the problem. Since I am unable to get my printer installed, too, without an installed printer, I doubt that the problem has anything to do with that. I also have Catalyst installed; if you do, perhaps it is a part of that. I also installed Catalyst at the same time as I installed 14.04.

Once in a very long while it leaves the desktop for a few minutes before returning; I have no idea what causes that, because I am not doing anything particular at the time. It just happens. Sorry I can't help, but I thought you would like to know it is happening to at least one other.

Originally posted by sgage View Post
        Thanks for the reply, bill. But that's the funny thing - it's not like a standard widget. Widgets are unlocked, but that menu bar doesn't appear as it does with other widgets.

Any other ideas?

Comment

I wish there was a solution. It is really irritating to me. The strange thing is that it didn't occur in my last installation... there's got to be a way to kill this thing. "Can no one rid me of this meddlesome widget?" (to paraphrase King Henry II of England :-)

Comment

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about. It's the item in the upper left corner. Someone must know how to kill it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	642325

Comment

Solved! Got an answer from the KDE Workspace forum.

You can edit the plasma config file ~/.kde/share/plasma-desktop-appletsrc, there will probably be 2 sections that will need to be id'ed and removed. Just search for 'printer'. You probably need to kill plasma-desktop, edit the file then restart plasma-desktop for it to take effect.

It's gone! And I've learned something, too.

Comment

Working...
              X