Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove the unwanted Desktop Toolbox Icon?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove the unwanted Desktop Toolbox Icon?

ATTACH=CONFIG]5072[/ATTACH]

I prefer a clean Desktop with only the Widgets I often use onscreen. The Icons showing in the attachment are unneeded, and I would like to remove them, however there does not seem to be a removal option in the settings. How do I remove them. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Hi
    KEWL DESKTOP!!!

I assume that you are referring to the little thing highlighted by the red line, that is the infamous cashew...here is a possible help.

http://blog.hanschen.org/2008/10/23/...ve-the-cashew/

hope it helps.

woodsmoke

Comment

Thanks for the complement, Woodsmoke. I don't mind the little acorn, I just mind the word "Desktop", included in the Icon. If located in the panel area, when I expose the 'hidden' panel, it obliterates what appears on the panel. The acorn showing at the very end of the panel doesn't seem to bother anything included on the panel. I use the panel on occasion when a new and useful widget can be added to serve a specific purpose, or if I choose to ajdust the size of the panel, or ??whatever, but mostly it would be nice if the Icon "Desktop Acorn" would only appear when I right-click and unlock widgets. Then when it was useful, it would be available.

When I read the link relating to removal, I am still confused a bit whether the abilities that are provided when using the acorn are still available. Will you respond before I make the change. I am undesided whether living with the problem is better than not having the benefits provided by the Acorn. Remember, I am not smart like you guys and don't always clearly understand complicated instructions, and the link is a bit complicated to me. ??if only I could understand a bit more of what I read??

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      Hi
      KEWL DESKTOP!!!

I assume that you are referring to the little thing highlighted by the red line, that is the infamous cashew...here is a possible help.

http://blog.hanschen.org/2008/10/23/...ve-the-cashew/

hope it helps.

woodsmoke
      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jul 10, 2014, 07:30 PM. Reason: didn't notice misspelled word

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
        I don't mind the little acorn, I just mind the word "Desktop", included in the Icon.
        You can change the name of the Activity this way (in 12.04 at least): Click on the acorn, click on "Activities". The current set of activities should appear somewhere on your desktop (bottom left in my case). Then click on the little spanner on the bottom right of the activity you wish to rename, and change the text of the activity to whatever you want, click apply.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I don't mind the little acorn, I just mind the word "Desktop", included in the Icon.
          If you drag the toolbox to a corner of your desktop, the text will be hidden and the widget shown "icon only"

but mostly it would be nice if the Icon "Desktop Acorn" would only appear when I right-click and unlock widgets. Then when it was useful, it would be available.
          You can do that with the Stealth Cashew widget (note that I haven't actually used it, so I don't know whether it still works with newer versions of KDE). With the Stealth Cashew, you can set opacity separately for locked/unlocked states...so you can set it to be completely transparent when widgets are locked, and shown when unlocked.

Comment

When I click on the Acorn>Activities, nothing appears. I have Kubuntu 14.04. I remember when the three dots appeared on the panel originally, I decided that it was not something I was interested, so I remove the Activity dots from the panel. That is probably why they do not appear. Thanks for trying, friend Rod J.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
            You can change the name of the Activity this way (in 12.04 at least): Click on the acorn, click on "Activities". The current set of activities should appear somewhere on your desktop (bottom left in my case). Then click on the little spanner on the bottom right of the activity you wish to rename, and change the text of the activity to whatever you want, click apply.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              If you drag the toolbox to a corner of your desktop, the text will be hidden and the widget shown "icon only"

You can do that with the Stealth Cashew widget (note that I haven't actually used it, so I don't know whether it still works with newer versions of KDE). With the Stealth Cashew, you can set opacity separately for locked/unlocked states...so you can set it to be completely transparent when widgets are locked, and shown when unlocked.

I was about to suggest the same, just drag desktop widget to a corner and then lock it, It will dissapear the wordk "DESKTOP" and the little acorn will be almost invisible.

Comment

When I drag it to the corner, it just switches from appearing on the top of the screen to appearing on the side of the screen, but continues to show, just on a different side of the screen.

I keep my panel on the top of the screen, so if I drag the Desktop/Acorn to the left corner, it moves to the left side of the screen. If I drag it to the right corner, the Desktop/Acorn then moves to the right screen. If I leave the Desktop/Acorn to the farthest right or left position, just before it transfers to the selected side, and click on Lock Widgets, the Desktop/Icon widget remains in on the screen and the word Desktop remains.

To be absolutely clear in my description is very difficult. I hope you can translate my answer.

Originally posted by kiraitachi View Post
                I was about to suggest the same, just drag desktop widget to a corner and then lock it, It will dissapear the wordk "DESKTOP" and the little acorn will be almost invisible.

Comment

Working...
                X