This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sudo no longer accepts my login password

Yesterday I installed Kubuntu 14.04, I add a number of packages, installed Brother printer drivers, everything worked perfectly.
    Today, I try to add some more packages, and the package manager does not accept my password anymore.
    When I type sudo -i in konsole, it does not accept the passwd either.

When I go in a terminal session with ctrl-alt-F1, I can login and I also can go to root with sudo -i, so there it accepts my password.
    Any ideas why this is and how to solve it ?

The same thing happens in linux mint 17 KDE, since it is based on Ubuntu 14.04, I guess mint inherited this from Ubuntu.
    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
    A good place to start:
    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

sounds strange ,,,,,,,it should not accept anywhere if it is not accepted somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for a test open a konsole and do

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    ,,,,dose it get accepted?
    what did it say?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

same thing happens

In konsole and yakuake iget this
      marc@bgc:~$ sudo apt-get update
      [sudo] password for marc:
      Sorry, try again.
      [sudo] password for marc:

The password is not accepted either when opening a gui application that needs root privileges (synaptic package mgr)

When I open a console via ctrl-alt-F1 and login, it works normal, my password is accepted.
      A good place to start:

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post

The password is not accepted either when opening a gui application that needs root privileges (synaptic package mgr)

oopsy ,,,did you do this ,,,,,,open a GUI app with sudo

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

There seems to be something wrong with typing special characters in the passwd field of a gui application, or in konsole.
          when I type my password in konsole (in clear text) the special characters don't show, when I type the same special characters in kate or here for example this à it shows up.

IMO nothing wrong with my passwd, but something seems to be wrong with the acceptance of special characters in some passwd input fields
          When I start the computer, my login/passwd are accepted, my login/passwd is also accepted in the ctrl-alt-F1 text console, but it is not accepted in passwd input fields when I am in kde.
          A good place to start:

Comment

I opened synaptic package mgr.
            Before starting it pops up a passwd box, when I type in my passwd it says wrong passwd also
            A good place to start:

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
              I opened synaptic package mgr.
              Before starting it pops up a passwd box, when I type in my passwd it says wrong passwd also
              you will mess up the permissions in your /home if you run GUI apps with sudo ,,,,,,,you must use kdesudo to open a GUI app with root privilege in Kubuntu .

run this and lets see if root has taken over any of your ~/ files
              Code:
              find /home -type f -uid 0 -print
              and what special characters,,,,stuff like !@#$%^&*()_+ ?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

No you misunderstood, I did not open synaptic with sudo, I opened it via the normal kde application launcher, not with sudo on the command line.
                When you do this it pops up an inputbox to ask for the passwd.

I have an azerty Belgian keyboard layout, and the top key row contains following characters &é"'(§è!çà) when typing the same keys with caps lock on this shows up 121234567890°
                When I type all these characters in a console only &"'(!) show up and with caps 1234567890, so a number of special characters are missing.

Here is a screenshot of the Belgian keyboard layout, so not all special characters are showing when I type them in a konsole.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	belgian keyboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	642312
                Last edited by mbohets; Jul 08, 2014, 03:49 PM.
                A good place to start:

Comment

No you misunderstood, I did not open synaptic with sudo, I opened it via the normal kde application launcher, not with sudo on the command line.
                  When you do this it pops up an inputbox to ask for the passwd.

I have an azerty Belgian keyboard layout, and the top key row contains following characters &é"'(§è!çà) when typing the same keys with caps lock on this shows up 121234567890°
                  When I type all these characters in a console only &"'(!) show up and with caps 1234567890, so a number of special characters are missing.

Here is a screenshot of the Belgian keyboard layout, so not all special characters are showing when I type them in a konsole.
                  A good place to start:

Comment

AAAaaaa we may be getting above my pay grade hear ,,,,,,,, do you have all the language and localization files for your layout installed , and did you select that as your keybord layout at install ??

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Yes, I selected this keyboard layout on the live usb before installing Kubuntu and also selected it during the install process to make sure I got the keyboard layout correct.
                      After installation, I got a notification that not all language components were installed, and I clicked on install them before doing anything else.

I am beginning to thing I hit on a bug and I should notify it via launchpad to get it fixed.
                      A good place to start:

Comment

The problem misteriously went away I don't know why though.
                        Today, I was about to report this as a bug in launchpad, and typed in the top row on the keyboard in yakuake again to copy it in my bug report,
                        and to my surprise, all characters were there.

I don't know why though because I did not do anything related to locales.
                        The only thing I did was install some extra video editing software.
                        The only thing I can think of is that it must have triggered the installation of some left over language or locale sw.
                        but I don't know why, after my last post, I did several reboots, and now suddenly it seems to be ok.

Linux works in misterious ways
                        A good place to start:

Comment

Working...
                        X