Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uninstalling Unity and Replacing it with Kubuntu-desktop the right way?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninstalling Unity and Replacing it with Kubuntu-desktop the right way?

I installed Ubuntu using the alternative installer because none of the graphical installers support software raid configurations at least that well. I then installed ubuntu-desktop, but have since install kubuntu-desktop because I like it better. I noticed something that made me thing possibly Unity is running in the background in some fashion because when rebooting, or shutting down I see a flash of my old Unity desktop, meaning the wallpaper changes to what I previously had on Unity.

First is this a bug?

Second how can I remove this issue? Should I replace LightDM? What is a nice KDE way of doing this? Thanks.
    Last edited by Goddard; Jul 02, 2014, 11:18 AM.

Sounds like you haven't removed Unity and its dependancies. Try this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop

Comment

Thanks NickStone I have already removed unity, ubuntu-desktop and a few other packages, but the problem still exists. I was going to remove LightDM as I thought it might be related, but wanted to ask you all first. Maybe I can get a video showing what I mean.

Comment

Installing the unity-desktop (or kubuntu-desktop for that matter) meta-package pulls in vastly more packages than ypu might think. the *-desktop package in and of itself has no software in it whatsoever, and simply depends on everything that makes up the base desktop for that particular flavour. Removing unity-desktop will NOT remove any of the unity components, just like removing kubuntu-desktop will not remove any of KDE.

Now this flash of the other desktop probably is a bug of sorts, one I remember from many many years ago, and I do not think is related specifically to one login manager, or distro (I used to see this when I had multiple desktops installed, well before lightdm) ever existed.). I am not positive, but I think it might be some cache or the like, and always was the Gnome desktop that would show itself during login/logout.

I do not think that Unity is actually running, you would probably see that in a task manager.

**UPDATE** from a super duper quick web search, it could be nautilus running in the background, or possibly some buffer in the gpu.
        You can try switching to lightdm-kde-greeter or KDM to see if that helps.

This Suse thread on the issue describes a few different things to look at
        http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...ing-behind-KDE

To really remove Unity would take something similar to this:
        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/tag/pure-kubuntu/
        However, this is outdated, I do not see a similar one for newer versions.

Comment

apt-get -s install ubuntu-desktop reveals:
          Code:
          Recommended packages:  indicator-applet indicator-renderer ubuntu-control-center-signon
          The following packages will be REMOVED:
            apper appstream-index listaller packagekit packagekit-backend-smart
          The following NEW packages will be installed:
            account-plugin-aim account-plugin-facebook account-plugin-flickr
            account-plugin-google account-plugin-jabber account-plugin-salut
            account-plugin-twitter account-plugin-windows-live account-plugin-yahoo
            activity-log-manager activity-log-manager-control-center adium-theme-ubuntu
            aisleriot apg appmenu-qt5 apport-gtk aptdaemon-data apturl avahi-utils
            bamfdaemon baobab branding-ubuntu brasero brasero-cdrkit brasero-common
            checkbox-gui checkbox-ng checkbox-ng-service cheese cheese-common compiz
            compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-plugins-default cups-pk-helper dconf-cli
            deja-dup deja-dup-backend-gvfs dmz-cursor-theme doc-base duplicity empathy
            empathy-common eog espeak-data evince evince-common evolution-data-server
            evolution-data-server-common evolution-data-server-online-accounts
            example-content file-roller folks-common fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one
            fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-nanum
            fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-thai-tlwg
            fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-tlwg-garuda fonts-tlwg-kinnari fonts-tlwg-loma
            fonts-tlwg-mono fonts-tlwg-norasi fonts-tlwg-purisa fonts-tlwg-sawasdee
            fonts-tlwg-typewriter fonts-tlwg-typist fonts-tlwg-typo fonts-tlwg-umpush
            fonts-tlwg-waree friends friends-dispatcher friends-facebook friends-twitter
            gedit gedit-common geoclue geoclue-ubuntu-geoip gir1.2-accounts-1.0
            gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-atspi-2.0
            gir1.2-dbusmenu-glib-0.4 gir1.2-dee-1.0 gir1.2-ebook-1.2
            gir1.2-ebookcontacts-1.2 gir1.2-edataserver-1.2 gir1.2-freedesktop
            gir1.2-gdata-0.0 gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gmenu-3.0
            gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-gnomekeyring-1.0 gir1.2-goa-1.0
            gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0
            gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 gir1.2-gudev-1.0 gir1.2-ibus-1.0
            gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 gir1.2-messagingmenu-1.0
            gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 gir1.2-notify-0.7 gir1.2-packagekitglib-1.0
            gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-peas-1.0 gir1.2-rb-3.0 gir1.2-secret-1
            gir1.2-signon-1.0 gir1.2-totem-1.0 gir1.2-totem-plparser-1.0
            gir1.2-unity-5.0 gir1.2-vte-2.90 gir1.2-webkit-3.0 gir1.2-wnck-3.0
            gkbd-capplet gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-bluetooth gnome-calculator
            gnome-contacts gnome-control-center-shared-data gnome-desktop3-data
            gnome-disk-utility gnome-font-viewer gnome-icon-theme
            gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-mahjongg gnome-menus gnome-mines gnome-orca
            gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-screenshot gnome-session-bin
            gnome-session-canberra gnome-session-common gnome-settings-daemon-schemas
            gnome-sudoku gnome-system-log gnome-system-monitor gnome-terminal
            gnome-terminal-data gnome-user-guide gnome-user-share gnome-video-effects
            gnomine gsettings-ubuntu-schemas gstreamer0.10-alsa
            gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-tools gstreamer1.0-clutter
            gtk2-engines-murrine gtk3-engines-unico gucharmap guile-2.0-libs
            gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse hud humanity-icon-theme hwdata ibus
            ibus-gtk3 ibus-pinyin ibus-table indicator-application indicator-appmenu
            indicator-bluetooth indicator-datetime indicator-keyboard indicator-messages
            indicator-power indicator-printers indicator-session indicator-sound
            intel-gpu-tools landscape-client-ui-install language-selector-gnome
            laptop-detect libaccount-plugin-1.0-0 libaccount-plugin-generic-oauth
            libaccount-plugin-google libaccounts-qt5-1 libappindicator3-1 libatk-adaptor
            libbamf3-2 libbrasero-media3-1 libburn4 libcamel-1.2-45
            libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk0 libcanberra-gtk3-0
            libcanberra-gtk3-module libcheese-gtk23 libcheese7 libclutter-1.0-0
            libclutter-1.0-common libclutter-gst-2.0-0 libclutter-gtk-1.0-0
            libcogl-common libcogl-pango15 libcogl15 libcolumbus1 libcolumbus1-common
            libcompizconfig0 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4 libdbusmenu-qt5 libdecoration0
            libdee-1.0-4 libdmapsharing-3.0-2 libdotconf0 libebackend-1.2-7
            libebook-1.2-14 libebook-contacts-1.2-0 libecal-1.2-16 libedata-book-1.2-20
            libedata-cal-1.2-23 libedataserver-1.2-18 libespeak1 libevdocument3-4
            libevview3-3 libexempi3 libfarstream-0.2-2 libfolks-eds25
            libfolks-telepathy25 libfolks25 libframe6 libfriends0 libgail-3-0
            libgail-common libgail18 libgdata-common libgdata13 libgee-0.8-2 libgeis1
            libgexiv2-2 libglewmx1.10 libgmime-2.6-0 libgnome-bluetooth11
            libgnome-control-center1 libgnome-desktop-3-7 libgnome-menu-3-0
            libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd8 libgoa-1.0-0b libgoa-1.0-common libgrail6
            libgrip0 libgsettings-qt1 libgtkmm-3.0-1 libgtksourceview-3.0-1
            libgtksourceview-3.0-common libgucharmap-2-90-7 libgweather-3-6
            libgweather-common libgxps2 libhud2 libido3-0.1-0 libindicator3-7 libisofs6
            libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common libjte1 libkpathsea6
            liblouis-data liblouis2 libmessaging-menu0 libmetacity-private0a libnatpmp1
            libnautilus-extension1a libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libnux-4.0-0
            libnux-4.0-common liboauth0 libopencc1 liboxideqt-qmlplugin liboxideqtcore0
            libpeas-1.0-0 libpeas-common libpocketsphinx1 libprotobuf8
            libproxy1-plugin-gsettings libproxy1-plugin-networkmanager libpyzy-1.0-0
            libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5feedback5 libqt5gui5 libqt5multimedia5
            libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5organizer5 libqt5positioning5
            libqt5printsupport5 libqt5qml-graphicaleffects libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5
            libqt5sensors5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5svg5 libqt5test5
            libqt5webkit5 libqt5webkit5-qmlwebkitplugin libqt5widgets5 libqt5xml5
            libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-ogltrans
            libreoffice-presentation-minimizer libreoffice-style-human librest-0.7-0
            librhythmbox-core8 librsync1 libsignon-extension1 libsignon-glib1
            libsignon-plugins-common1 libsignon-qt5-1 libsonic0 libsphinxbase1
            libsystemd-journal0 libt1-5 libtelepathy-farstream3 libthumbnailer0
            libtimezonemap1 libtotem-plparser18 libtotem0 libufe-xidgetter0
            libunity-action-qt1 libunity-control-center1 libunity-core-6.0-9
            libunity-gtk2-parser0 libunity-gtk3-parser0 libunity-misc4
            libunity-protocol-private0 libunity-scopes-json-def-desktop
            libunity-webapps0 libunity9 libunityvoice1 libupstart1 liburl-dispatcher1
            libuuid-perl libvte-2.90-9 libvte-2.90-common libwacom-common libwacom2
            libwmf0.2-7-gtk libwnck-3-0 libwnck-3-common libwnck-common libwnck22
            libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xkb1 libxkbcommon-x11-0 libxres1
            libyaml-tiny-perl libyelp0 libzeitgeist-1.0-1 libzeitgeist-2.0-0
            light-themes mcp-account-manager-uoa metacity-common modemmanager
            mousetweaks nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-sendto-empathy
            nautilus-share network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp
            network-manager-pptp-gnome notify-osd notify-osd-icons nux-tools onboard
            onboard-data oneconf oneconf-common overlay-scrollbar overlay-scrollbar-gtk2
            overlay-scrollbar-gtk3 oxideqt-codecs pcmciautils plainbox-provider-checkbox
            plainbox-provider-resource-generic plainbox-secure-policy
            plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo ppp pptp-linux printer-driver-ptouch
            python-aptdaemon python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets python-commandnotfound
            python-debtagshw python-defer python-gconf python-gdbm python-gi-cairo
            python-gnomekeyring python-ibus python-libxml2 python-lockfile python-notify
            python-oneconf python-piston-mini-client python-smbc python-zeitgeist
            python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets python3-aptdaemon.pkcompat python3-brlapi
            python3-cairo python3-checkbox-ng python3-checkbox-support python3-crypto
            python3-feedparser python3-gi-cairo python3-httplib2 python3-louis
            python3-lxml python3-mako python3-markupsafe python3-oauthlib
            python3-oneconf python3-piston-mini-client python3-plainbox python3-pyatspi
            python3-pyparsing python3-requests python3-speechd python3-urllib3
            python3-xdg qt-at-spi qtdeclarative5-accounts-plugin
            qtdeclarative5-dialogs-plugin qtdeclarative5-localstorage-plugin
            qtdeclarative5-privatewidgets-plugin qtdeclarative5-qtfeedback-plugin
            qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin
            qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-extras-browser-plugin
            qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-extras-browser-plugin-assets
            qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin qtdeclarative5-unity-action-plugin
            qtdeclarative5-window-plugin remmina remmina-common remmina-plugin-rdp
            remmina-plugin-vnc rfkill rhythmbox rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-mozilla
            rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugin-magnatune
            rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist rhythmbox-plugins seahorse session-migration
            sessioninstaller shotwell shotwell-common signon-keyring-extension
            signon-plugin-oauth2 signon-plugin-password signon-ui signond simple-scan
            sni-qt software-center software-center-aptdaemon-plugins
            software-properties-gtk speech-dispatcher speech-dispatcher-audio-plugins
            sphinx-voxforge-hmm-en sphinx-voxforge-lm-en ssh-askpass-gnome
            system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome telepathy-idle
            telepathy-indicator thunderbird thunderbird-gnome-support totem totem-common
            totem-mozilla totem-plugins transmission-common transmission-gtk
            ttf-indic-fonts-core ttf-punjabi-fonts ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop
            ubuntu-docs ubuntu-mono ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk ubuntu-session
            ubuntu-settings ubuntu-sounds ubuntu-sso-client-qt ubuntu-system-service
            ubuntu-ui-toolkit-theme ubuntu-wallpapers ubuntu-wallpapers-trusty
            ubuntuone-client-data unity unity-asset-pool unity-control-center
            unity-control-center-signon unity-greeter unity-gtk-module-common
            unity-gtk2-module unity-gtk3-module unity-lens-applications unity-lens-files
            unity-lens-friends unity-lens-music unity-lens-photos unity-lens-video
            unity-scope-audacious unity-scope-calculator unity-scope-chromiumbookmarks
            unity-scope-clementine unity-scope-colourlovers unity-scope-devhelp
            unity-scope-firefoxbookmarks unity-scope-gdrive unity-scope-gmusicbrowser
            unity-scope-gourmet unity-scope-guayadeque unity-scope-home
            unity-scope-manpages unity-scope-musicstores unity-scope-musique
            unity-scope-openclipart unity-scope-texdoc unity-scope-tomboy
            unity-scope-video-remote unity-scope-virtualbox unity-scope-yelp
            unity-scope-zotero unity-scopes-master-default unity-scopes-runner
            unity-services unity-settings-daemon unity-voice-service
            unity-webapps-common unity-webapps-qml unity-webapps-service update-manager
            update-notifier usb-creator-gtk usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data vino
            webaccounts-extension-common webapp-container webbrowser-app wireless-tools
            xdg-user-dirs-gtk xdiagnose xul-ext-unity xul-ext-webaccounts
            xul-ext-websites-integration yelp yelp-xsl zeitgeist zeitgeist-core
            zeitgeist-datahub
          You might go through the list and remove as many of those as you can without removing kubuntu-desktop.

Please Read Me

Comment

Just as a comment, I've installed KDE over "Ubuntu" and then "Ubuntu Unity", and also...."on" Debian... and I've said this before, but was laughed at..."KDE" is there, but it just doesn't "seem the same"...it works...... but... the best word I can come up with is "hard/brittle(not breaking, but..."hard" in "feel/texture, whatever, a....."rendering thing'...

But, it does work if one just "lets synaptic do it".

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Installing the unity-desktop (or kubuntu-desktop for that matter) meta-package pulls in vastly more packages than ypu might think. the *-desktop package in and of itself has no software in it whatsoever, and simply depends on everything that makes up the base desktop for that particular flavour. Removing unity-desktop will NOT remove any of the unity components, just like removing kubuntu-desktop will not remove any of KDE.

Now this flash of the other desktop probably is a bug of sorts, one I remember from many many years ago, and I do not think is related specifically to one login manager, or distro (I used to see this when I had multiple desktops installed, well before lightdm) ever existed.). I am not positive, but I think it might be some cache or the like, and always was the Gnome desktop that would show itself during login/logout.

I do not think that Unity is actually running, you would probably see that in a task manager.

**UPDATE** from a super duper quick web search, it could be nautilus running in the background, or possibly some buffer in the gpu.
              You can try switching to lightdm-kde-greeter or KDM to see if that helps.

This Suse thread on the issue describes a few different things to look at
              http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...ing-behind-KDE

To really remove Unity would take something similar to this:
              http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/tag/pure-kubuntu/
              However, this is outdated, I do not see a similar one for newer versions.

Yep looks like it was Nautilus. Nautilus for what ever reason was started and that also runs the "desktop" apparently for unity. After I removed Nautilus the problem went away.

Comment

Working...
              X