This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LVM possible with dual-boot?

I've ran Kubuntu 12.04 (and more recently 14.04) on one of my laptops and this week I installed 14.04 on my home-built tower. I wasn't ready for a dual-boot because I need to move a bunch of data from my Win7 drive onto one of my external drives, so instead of dual-booting I simply swapped out my Win7 drive for a different one and installed there to try things out with this computer. After running nothing but Kubuntu for the last week I'm ready to make the switch on this particular PC. Sadly there are some things that I do still need Windoze for so I will be setting up a dual-boot. I would like to install with LVM (Logical Volume Manager) to make resizing/moving partitions a breeze should I ever find I need to do so.

Will installing LVM have any conflicts with the Win7 filesystem? On my multi-boot setups in the past I've always preferred to have Windoze installed first and then install Linux and let GRUB sort things out. It's easy enough for me to reinstall Win7 after Kubuntu and just use EasyBCD to configure my bootloaders. But with LVM is there any reason I should not keep Win7 at the beginning of the drive instead of vice-versa?

As always, any tips or info is appreciate

You can absolutely dual-boot with LVM after installing Windows first. Windows prefers to be installed first. Kubuntu is flexible.
    It would be harder to do it the other way around.

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply I'm no stranger to dual- and multi-booting (one of my laptops had 4 OSes installed at one time o.O LMAO) so installing Win7 second is no problem for me. Although I'm somewhat of a Linux veteran I am, however, new to LVM and I would like to incorporate it into my next install. Thanks for the reply and I look forward to getting things up and running. I was never fully comfortable with Ubuntu as my "daily driver" OS but I am absolutely blown away by Kubuntu and the fact that I don't miss Windoze one bit with this OS running.

Comment

Working...
      X