This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boots to black screen [13.10]

I'm working off a Dell desktop that someone else owned before me. They claim it worked completely fine for them, but when I boot the computer it says "kubuntu" and then goes to a completely black screen (no mouse or typing cursor). You can type, but normal linux commands do nothing. The only things I can make happen are restarting (control-alt-delete) and making a login prompt appear, but I don't know the username or password.

I've tried reinstalling the OS from a flash drive (I don't have a blank CD or a CD drive to write with on my laptop, a mac). The files show up fine on my computer (I used unetbootin) but when I try to boot the Dell from it (using the F12 quick boot-change menu), it says the drive failed. When I change the BIOS to boot from the flash drive before the hard drive, it says "no bootable devices."

I'm really not sure what to do from here....

Please help?

Comment

Off hand it appears to me that the machine has some mechanical/electronic problems.

Do you get the grub menu screen when you boot up. If so, can you run the second option on it? The repair option. One of those options is to fsck the HD. Try it first and see if your HD has problems.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I got in touch with Dell and it looks like it is a hardware problem. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X