Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I use Unetbootin to make a USB 3 ISO of crunchbang.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I use Unetbootin to make a USB 3 ISO of crunchbang.

I can't figure out how to use Unetbootin. I want to make a USB ISO of crunchbang, but it is not on the list of distritutions provided by the Unetbootin application. When I go to the Crunchbang website, they indicate that Unetbootin and Crunchbang are a compatible combination, however, two problems occur.

First, the application is displayed in too small a font to read properly and does not respond to the magnification features of Kubuntu 14.04. This happens more and more with the Kubuntu upgrade, and my vision is such that the font size provided is too difficult to read. Even using my bi-focals which require my standing and placing my face close to the monitor, I still find it difficult.

Secondly, it is suggested that I type in the appropriate application to make the ISO. I type in the name of the distribution in the only place that will accept an entry and then am told to choose my preference. It is both confusing and doesn't work. Does anyopne know how I should proceed? Thanks!

UNetbootin

UNetbootin Home: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    Installing Other Distributions Using UNetbootin

...run UNetbootin, then select the "disk image" option and supply it with an ISO (CD image)...

...UNetbootin doesn't use distribution-specific rules for making your live USB drive, so most Linux ISO files should load correctly using this option...

Insert the USB stick and mount it - start the UNetbootin and

1) Pick the 'DiskImage' option
    2) Open the file picker and pick the ISO file
    3) Pick the right USB drive

click the 'OK'

The UNetbootin can be launched from the command line: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/une.../wiki/commands

cmd example:

My ISO is: /media/sda14/ISO/Utopic/mini.iso
    My USB drive is: /dev/sdd1

The command is:
    Code:
    kdesudo unetbootin method=diskimage isofile="/media/sda14/ISO/Utopic/mini.iso" installtype=USB targetdrive=/dev/sdd1
    Last edited by Rog132; Jun 09, 2014, 12:57 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	printinfo2.png
Views:	1
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	642272

Can you see if I filled it in properly? Crunchbang is not offered in the list of distros at the top, so I entered the location of the download in my computer. Notice that the window that followed said it could not find my image file. What am I missing?

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
      UNetbootin Home: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Insert the USB stick and mount it - start the UNetbootin and

1) Pick the 'DiskImage' option
      2) Open the file picker and pick the ISO file
      3) Pick the right USB drive

click the 'OK'

The UNetbootin can be launched from the command line: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/une.../wiki/commands

cmd example:

My ISO is: /media/sda14/ISO/Utopic/mini.iso
      My USB drive is: /dev/sdd1

The command is:
      Code:
      kdesudo unetbootin method=diskimage isofile="/media/sda14/ISO/Utopic/mini.iso" installtype=USB targetdrive=/dev/sdd1

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphinFile.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	642273Notice that the file is located in Dolphin 739MiB.

Comment

You can't....

You can't drag&drop from the file manager (Dolphin).

If you just drag&drop you will get the error message:

You need to use the UNetbootin file picker or you need to edit the path and remove the 'file://'.
          Your ISO path is: /home/steven/Downloads/crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso.

Last edited by Rog132; Jun 09, 2014, 05:08 AM.
          A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

A good place to start is for people in their 20's, 30's and 40's. I am 71. To learn what my friend dibl knows could only happen after I am dead for about 30 years. Additionally, I have the motivation and desire, but not the electrons. I am very fortunate to be able to communicate well enough with you to use your helps and get results.

Your advice at taking "a good place to start" would eliminate my solving this problem. It would take years for me to understand and use the info and my current problem would still exist. I wish I was 50 years younger, I just love this stuff, but I fear that even with the time, my intelligence doesn't come up to measure.

I am extremely grateful for your help and hope I get the problem solved. I will continue to work the problem and try dibl's tutorial when I have the free time to learn more.

dibl is one of the kindest and most decent men I have known. He would probably smile if he read this post. He has come to my house a few times to solve problems that required more hands-on help. You may not know, but he started a business where he sells his knowledge, and still provides the riches you refer to. I have stopped bothering him, because I cannot afford his service and am unwilling to take for free what he sells to make his liviing.

I don't know how you found him, but he is worthy of your referrals. If I were rich, I would hire him every time I needed help. He is one of the forum's most precious assets.

By the way, you were right, I believe I cut and pasted the address. I will attempt the file picker now. Thanks for your kindness, friend. I am a 2 electron guy in a billion electron world.

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
            You can't drag&drop from the file manager (Dolphin).

If you just drag&drop you will get the error message:

You need to use the UNetbootin file picker or you need to edit the path and remove the 'file://'.
            Your ISO path is: /home/steven/Downloads/crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso.

Comment

Dear Rog132,

Thanks for that last bit of help. Adding by clicking on the ... button worked. It opened in /root/ which at first gave me pause, but /root/home/steven/Downloads provided the item I needed to enter. You probably don't get excited like me anymore, but when I clicked on adding that file, things happened very fast. And although I haven't had the chance and time to reboot to Crunchbang, (I wanted to reply to you with my gratitude first), I am sure it completed well.

When I started using a computer 20 years ago, I thought it would be impossible. I thought I was too old, and I knew I wasn't intelligent enough. Nevertheless, because of people like you and dibl, and snowhog, and so many more, who have had the patience to help me with the things I should know, I wouldn't even be able to handle making a post. I remember how difficult it was until I got used to it. Although I talk down on myself probably a bit too much, honesty is something I have been trying to improve in my life, so mentioning my limitations is the right thing to do, even though it sounds somewhat negative.

On the other hand, I don't think I would have been able to come to the level of understanding I currently am, had I taken a defensive mode or just plain given up.

Because of you guys, I have exceeded my abilities to a level to even help people smarter than I when it relates to computers. Of course, if they had the motivation, they would pass me up relatively fast. In any event, like those who know me better, you will probably believe my tremendous gratitude for the help you have provided. Unetbootin will no longer be a problem for me, and I may even be able to help someone else, thanks to you. Blessings to you and yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post

dibl is one of the kindest and most decent men I have known. He would probably smile if he read this post.
                Yep, I am indeed smiling -- thank you for those nice words. If you need more help with it, post back. I have unetbootin and use it, but an even simpler (IMHO) method is just the user terminal and "dd".

Code:
                dd if=/home/steven/Downloads/crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso of=/dev/sde
                (notice that you don't give the partition number, and it does use the whole thumb drive, so do it this way on smaller ones only)

Last edited by dibl; Jun 09, 2014, 09:04 AM.

Comment

It is terrific to see you in print to me, my friend. Wow, those 20 things to do are great. I have already started studying them a bit. I hope your business is doing great.

Once I got his final instruction, Unetbootin worked great, in fact so good, I am super impressed with the application. If you haven't tried Crunchbang, it is a lightning fast, clean and simple, a real work application. I put it on a USB3 and it was as fast as my 8 core using the USB as the drive.

I have thought about you often. Funny thing about me and computing, the more aware and aclimated I seem to get, the less skilled I feel. Still, when I think about when you first started helping me, I realize I have come quite a distance, thanks to you and others with enormous patience. I am not going to reduce my effort, I hit 71 this year; that's a year more than GOD's promise. Maybe HE will allow me to continue until I can actually handle the basics of computing. Each day I get closer.

I know you know I like you, and I always will. You are one of computing's greatest assets. I wish everyone knew you as well as I. I have been noticing others on the respected list. Vinny sounds a little tough, but he also is a great contribution to the field, and claydoh, and so many others.

When I finally got Unetbootin working, the old excitement emerged. I get so excited when something I am having trouble with comes together and exceeds the claims of its makers. I embarrass myself, because when I started and did not understand what I was doing, I grumbled a bit. But when it finally came together, I must have laughed with joy for several minutes. I'd stop then start laughing again.

I wish I had started when I was a kid. I had friends who made some of the first games. Nevertheless, I was so humg up on making art that I did not allow myself to get involved with computing until later. If I had known the pleasure it creates, I would have devoted time back when computers ran at 25mhz. Perhaps my logical mind may have developed a little more. Sorry to ramble, but you are a wonderful friend that I talk with so little, I need to vent a bit. My best to you and your family, and my hopes for your business to overwhelm you with success.

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                  Yep, I am indeed smiling -- thank you for those nice words. If you need more help with it, post back. I have unetbootin and use it, but an even simpler (IMHO) method is just the user terminal and "dd".

Code:
                  (notice that you don't give the partition number, and it does use the whole thumb drive, so do it this way on smaller ones only)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post

Code:

always use dd ... use Kpartition first to make sure you don't accidentally overwrite your HDD, but for anyone reading this - the startup disk creator, the unetbootin etc ... nothing is as reliable as using dd @ command line for making bootable iso's.

Comment

Working...
                    X