X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KWIN seems to frooze computer when playing video

Hi all,

I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 on my HTPC and I'm experiecing a problem that make computer randomly hangs when playing a video with XBMC 13.0, it can happend after 10 minutes playback a video or 1 hour, or some hours..... When it happends, image freezes and audio continues working, but system doesn't respond and I have to reset.

Today when it happened I tried to make system work by using mouse and keyboard, and it recovered from the problem, showing by a little time a message saying something like "window manager KWIN has been restarted due to a graphical error".

So KWIN seems to be the problem....

I forgot to tell.... I'm using XBMC 13.0 with Aeon Nox 4.1.9.9 for Gotham

¿Any help?

Many thanks in advance

How fast is your processor an how much RAM @ what speed do you have. Do you have the same problem when you are playing on a regular video player like VLC or Mplayer or Dragon Player.

Sometimes you expect too much from your hardware trying to handle the more demanding applications that are available. I don't know if this helps, but when asking questions about speed, it helps if you provide your hardware capabilities. I am not sure, but isn't XBMC a kind of theatre application. I believe it has pretty demanding hardware requirements. Perhaps not, but it wouldn't surprise me if your system is just not powerful enough to handle the demand.

Originally posted by Tassadar View Post
    Hi all,

I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 on my HTPC and I'm experiecing a problem that make computer randomly hangs when playing a video with XBMC 13.0, it can happend after 10 minutes playback a video or 1 hour, or some hours..... When it happends, image freezes and audio continues working, but system doesn't respond and I have to reset.

Today when it happened I tried to make system work by using mouse and keyboard, and it recovered from the problem, showing by a little time a message saying something like "window manager KWIN has been restarted due to a graphical error".

So KWIN seems to be the problem....

I forgot to tell.... I'm using XBMC 13.0 with Aeon Nox 4.1.9.9 for Gotham

¿Any help?

Many thanks in advance

Comment

Many thanks for your interest Shabakthanai,

The APU is an Intel Pentium G3220 (Haswell dual core) with RAM 4gb @ 1400mhz and Crucial M500 as hard drive. This hardware is more than enough to handle XBMC with no problem at all.

I attach the XBMC log: LINK

Regards

Comment

The notice you get about Kwin restarting does not necessarily mean Kwin is causing the freeze, it might be something causing it to crash, hence the restart.

Does this happen using a different XBMC theme?
        Looking at your xbmc log, the only prominent errors are ones where it cant access some folders/fonts, though I am no expert on XBMC.

Code:
        13:04:13 T:140648407340992   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting /home/elhtpc/.xbmc/media/Fonts/
        13:04:13 T:140648407340992   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/media/Fonts/
        13:04:13 T:140648407340992   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting /home/elhtpc/.xbmc/media/Fonts/
        13:04:13 T:140648407340992   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/media/Fonts/
        13:04:26 T:140648407340992   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting /home/elhtpc/.xbmc/media/Fonts/
        13:04:26 T:140648407340992   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/media/Fonts/
        13:04:26 T:140648407340992   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting /home/elhtpc/.xbmc/media/Fonts/
        13:04:26 T:140648407340992   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/media/Fonts/
        You might also look at xorg logs too. (I can't seem to recall where a kwin log resides)

Comment

Working...
        X