Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or at least I should say that I was able to use that method with two different kinds of Brother printers and multiple different OS's (Mint 17, Kubuntu 14.04, Mac OS X, Win 7, Win XP).

Comment

I hope I am not too dense for you to want to continue to help. In item (1) I went to the link and became confused very fast. I followed the steps and think I got the appropriate results, however, the statement: "Confirm that your printer is on network listed in the DHCP client list." stopped me, because I don't know how to find that list. "Network configuration --- Configure wireless Make sure Communication Mode is Infrastructure" here I am confused what to do, as well. "Channel is same as your network's channel number." Am I supposed to be filling out a form, if so, where do I find it? "Authentization Method should be WPA/WPA2-PSK (or the authentication method of your network)
      Encryption method Choose same Encryption as your network's encryption method." Authentication is WPA/WPA2-PSK and encryption is AES. I found this information on the printout when configuring the Vista and Win7 installation. "Network Key <do not change anything>
      Passphrase : <Enter your network passphrase>
      User ID and Password: <Leave them blank>
      Submit.

I did not find anything identifying the network key, and do not know the form to not change anything. You can see that I am confused. I hope you will still help me.

When I configured the Windows Vista and 7 printers, My IP address was indicated as: 192.168.0.104, so that is the address I entered. My SSID is: STEVEN-WIFI.
      Wireless Network Name (SSID) -----Browse------Select your Wireless Network.

Originally posted by soursen View Post
      I don’t know whether it will help you, but if you are still having trouble, maybe it is worth trying.
      I used it with a couple different types of Brother printers for 14.04.

To use the printer wirelessly:

(1) First, you need to set up the printer to have a static IP address on your network.
      The printer has a built-in ethernet card as well as a built-in wireless radio.
      For sake of example, you could assign 192.168.2.199 to be your printer’s wireless radio’s IP address.
      These instructions might help get to that point:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post10174567

(2) Next, download the printer drivers installer package (“Driver Install Tool”) from Brother website:
      http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...0dw_all&os=128

Be sure to comply with the “Read before downloading requirements” on that webpage. (As far as I recall, the steps that were relevant or partially relevant were #2, #4, #5, and #10, for Kubuntu 14.04.)

(3) Then, proceed with the installation.
      You will be asked multiple times to acknowledge various license agreements. When you get to the step that asks
      Will you specify the Device URI?
      answer “Y”

From the list that appears, choose the number that corresponds to “Specify IP address”.
      Then enter the IP address that you previously assigned as the static IP for you printer’s wireless radio (eg, 192.168.2.199).

(4) From there you should be able to use Kubuntu’s System Settings —> Printer page to add the printer.
      The connection should be to
      socket://192.168.2.199
      (fill in whatever IP address you assigned to the printer’s wireless radio). The driver should be the driver you downloaded from the Brother’s website.

Comment

What model router do you have?
        If you read your router's manual, it should explain how to get to the DHCP clients’ list and to other info about your wireless network that you will need for later steps.

Manufacturers typically assign a specific IP address to all of their routers, typically 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Linksys, for example, assigns its broadband routers to 192.168.1.1; Belkin uses 192.168.2.1.
        http://www.techspot.com/guides/287-d...-ip-addresses/

If you browse to that address (in other words, type, for example, 192.168.1.1 into your browser address line), you should get a login screen for your router. If you haven't changed the default name and password, you should be able to get those from the router manual and enter them to get into your router's settings pages. Once there, you'll want to navigate to the page that shows the list of clients currently connected to your router -- it will typically list their IP addresses (which the router will have assigned under the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (or "DHCP"), if you haven't previously assigned specific addresses for each client yourself), as well as their MAC addresses. One of those clients will likely be your computer. If the printer is connected to the router, it will also be listed. Depending on how many other clients you have had connected (other computers, other printers, etc), there may be additional clients also listed.

While looking at the router's settings pages, you’ll also be able to find which channel the router is broadcasting on, and some of the other wireless settings you will need—

To adjust settings on your wireless network, you will need some basic information about the network. This will include:

SSID — the wireless network’s name
        passphrase
        authentication method — WPA/WPA2-PSK, for example
        encryption method — TKIP or AES

And as I already noted you’ll need to know which channel your routing is broadcasting on (this setting can be found in the router’s wireless settings page).
        Check your router's manual to see how to get all of that info.

After you write that basic info down, you can get more info about the printer specifically.

You can start by getting your printer's current settings.
        Turn off the printer, then turn it back on and on let it go through its brief warm-up exercise. Then press the Go button 3 times within 2 seconds. It will spit out several pages.
        If yours is like mine, there should be a page in the group for the wired network settings (which use the built-in ethernet card) and one for the wireless network settings (which use the built-in wireless radio).

You should be able to find the printer's two MAC addresses (one for the wired, and one for the wireless) and its node names (starting with BRNxxxxxxx for the wired, and BRWxxxxxxx for the wireless).

If your computer is plugged into the router via an ethernet cable, there should be an IP address listed for the wired network.
        (There may also be an IP address listed for the wireless network, if you've been using the printer wirelessly with the Windows computer -- assuming the Windows settings are still active.) Using the MAC addresses can help confirm which client in the router's DHCP list is the printer's ethernet card and which is the printer's wireless radio.

Try browsing to the IP address that you found was listed for the printer (that is, if your wired network page that you printed out showed an IP address of 192.168.0.104, type that address into your internet browser's address line). That should take you to an administration page for the printer.
        Once on that page, click on "Network and Configuration". Type in the default name and password. (Click on the giant question mark on the right for help finding those.)
        Doing that should open up the form that you were asking about in your last post. You can get an idea of what some of the printer's network configuration settings pages look like in this blog post:
        http://keyliner.blogspot.com/2010/12...ter-power.html

Now, to adjust how your printer connects to your wireless network, you will need your wireless network's name (SSID) and passphrase, from above.

On the printer's Network Configuration page, under the big letters that say Network Configuration, there should be a WIRED tab on the left and a WIRELESS tab on the right.
        Click on the WIRELESS tab.

Further down the page, toward the middle, on the left, you should see Configure TCP/IP. Click on that and you will see settings you may eventually need to adjust, as described in the UbuntuForums linked page I posted previously. These settings will include your router's IP address as well as the IP address you want to make sure your printer uses all the time, among other settings. If you change things here now, click Submit for them to take effect. However, I'd suggest that on the first pass you just have a look at how everything is set up, and come back later to do the actual fixes.

You can go back to the Network Configuration main page by either clicking your browser's back button or clicking on Network Configuration far up on the page, toward the top of the page. About 2/3 down the page, there is "Configure Wireless" - click that. Here you will see entries for various other settings, including where you will need to enter your wireless network's SSID and passphrase. Once you do make the changes, be sure to remember to click submit.

Hopefully the info in this post will help you follow the instructions in that UbuntuForums page.

Comment

Thanks friend. I have so little understanding about networking and printers. I think I understand enough now. At least I know where to find what I need.

I googled before but much of what you detailed for me was missing from other explanations and I remained confused.

When a piece of information seems missing or not clearly explained, it stops the newbie from being able to continue the process. Until you understand those pieces or what they actually do and mean, everything that follows is confusing.

It must be very frustrating for you when you have to help someone like me. We just have pieces of information in our memories, with little or no real understanding. I sure appreciate the work you did. I will save this post in my records to have if someone like me posts and cannot find this reply.

Comment

I installed my Brother printer in this way (download the correct driver .deb files from Brother, install them, configure the IP adress and it works)

As this is the first post in this forum, I cannot post links, so I'll post them in a second post
            Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
            linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
            A good place to start:
            Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Here is the link to the site I use to document my linux customisations
              https://sites.google.com/site/marcsh...linux-hardware
              A good place to start:

Comment

Actually the model number is different, but the correct model number doesn't seem to exist, and the closest alternative has worked OK for the past two Kubuntu distributions.

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                Could you tell:

Has the cups 'Printers' tab the correct printer information ?

At here:

Is the correct printer on the application printer list ?

It ?
                Could you add the exact error message ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  I am still having trouble. I also attempted to print using the Windows 7 dual boot without success.
                  Stop! If you are saying the same printer will not print from Windows, and assuming the Windows driver is installed and working correctly, then the problem may not be on the computer end of the printer cable. Questions:

1. When you are booted in Windows, can you open the printer dialog utility? Can you see the settings for the printer?

2. When you are booted in Windows, and you send a print job, what is the error message? Can you then cancel the print job?

3. When you are booted in Windows, is there a self-test utility (not a test page) that you can run on that printer?
                  Last edited by dibl; Jul 14, 2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

still need help from a guru

Comment

Thanks for the try. I guess I am going to have to not use a printer.

It is embarrassing to have to admit that when I go through your explanation, I am sure it works perfectly, however before I can attempt to make a change, so much instruction has been presented, with still much more to be stated, that my "eyes glaze over". I mean, I have started to forget what I have most recently read and am still continually having to read more instructions, and my mind seems to overload giving that "eyes glazed over feeling".

I don't remember it working this way when I was younger, but now I seem to have this selfsame difficulty more and more.

My router is Dlink. I went to their support using the telephone. They confirmed that my settings were proper as concerning the router. My laptop is able to connect with the Internet using my wireless Laptop computer. They indicate that Brother will have to help me finish the installation, at least on the Vista or Windows 7 operating systems. They also indicate that they do not support Kubuntu or any Linux systems.

The last time I connected with Brother Support by phone, they indicated that I would have to pay them $105 for the solution. Since I only paid $99 for the printer in the first place, I refused. I am on a very low fixed income and that is too large an expense for me; it also seems immoral to buy something and have to pay so much, after getting the item home, just to get it to work.

It gets very difficult having to accept my "old man" limitations. I so admire those of you who are my age and still are able to function normally. I guess I will just have to write out by long-hand those things I need the hard copy. It is a bit difficult, but I can live with it. I am so fortunate to have such a long life that continues anyway. As always you at this forum are so appreciated. Your patience with me is almost unbelievable.

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                      Thanks friend. I have so little understanding about networking and printers. I think I understand enough now. At least I know where to find what I need.

I googled before but much of what you detailed for me was missing from other explanations and I remained confused.

When a piece of information seems missing or not clearly explained, it stops the newbie from being able to continue the process. Until you understand those pieces or what they actually do and mean, everything that follows is confusing.

It must be very frustrating for you when you have to help someone like me. We just have pieces of information in our memories, with little or no real understanding. I sure appreciate the work you did. I will save this post in my records to have if someone like me posts and cannot find this reply.

Comment

I am a bit confused I read that there is no driver for this printer, but when I do a google search with these search terms "linux drivers HL-2270DW"
                        It brings me to the Brother driver download site.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...d=hl2270dw_all
                        Here you can select linux as os, and select linux(deb) as OS version

this leads you to the driver download page
                        http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...0dw_all&os=128

Download the 2014 driver versions from there and follow the instructions presented with each download.
                        This is how I also installed the drivers for my Brother MFC-9970 printer

When you click on the driver installer you see this
                        Follow the Steps below to Download

Check detail information.

Driver Install Tool The tool will install LPR, CUPSwrapper driver and scanner driver (for scanner models).

...more
                        English 03/12/2014
                        (2.0.0-1)
                        MB
                        Read before downloading.

Notes before downloading
                        • Before the Installation
                        • Only installation via the command line interface (terminal) is supported.
                        • Only English versions of drivers are available.
                        • The information on the websites does not guarantee the operation of Brother Linux drivers in all users' operating environments.
                        • Connecting more than one machine with the same model number is not supported.

If you click on Before the Installation you will find ubuntu specific instructions you need to do via the command line.
                        A good place to start:

Comment

Working...
                        X