This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Brother Lazer Printer won't install.

My Brother Lazer printer has been working on this computer for about a year. After installation of Kubuntu 14.04 upgrade, certain problems in configuration have needed correction. Because I am in the configuration stage of installation, I am not positive that this problem took place at the time of the upgrade or since due to some other problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PrinterInstall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	648200

In the past, when I click on add a printer, I get many choices for the Brother's line of printers; this time only one. There are a couple of blank items to fill in, apparently required before the drover selection can be entered. I am not sure what they mean by "Address" or "Queue" and need help filling these empty spaces.

Is there something peculiar in the adding of a printer in the Kubuntu 14.04 distribution? Are there other dependencies or applications that I must add to succeed?

try using the cups front end to configure your printer.

open a browser and go to http://localhost:631

when your prompted to log in use your normal login info.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

First I clicked on Add Printer with the response:

Authentication Required

A username and password are being requested by http://localhost:631. The site says: "CUPS"

Name SSID: STEVEN-WIFI
      Password: ********

The SSID is the name of my printer. My root name and password is different, however I tried it too and it failed. My general Username is Shabakthanai. I tried that with my passwords too, and they failed.

I went to the CUPS site using your link, so I believe I am on the correct page.
      When you say use your normal login info, is that the login for the printer, or my computer, or the username I most often use for other things? In any event, I tried all that I have and had the selfsame result. I am sorry to be so dense.
      Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      try using the cups front end to configure your printer.

open a browser and go to http://localhost:631

when your prompted to log in use your normal login info.

Comment

Well now, that is interesting. I haven't needed to get into CUPS for a long time, so I tried just now. Clicking on Administration and then Add Printer I am prompted for a username and password. Typing my login username and password and pressing enter brings the username and password dialog back up; CUPS isn't recognizing the username and/or password. That isn't "normal".

My bad! Helps if I type the right username!
        Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 08, 2014, 02:40 PM.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Testing with the Trusty:

The Cups (1.7.2) is working fine with
          - Firefox 30
          - Opera 12.16
          - Konqueror 4.13.0

The Cups is not working with the
          - Otter 0.9.01 - Is giving: 'Error 205 Unknown error' after the password has been typed.

Last edited by Rog132; Jun 08, 2014, 12:32 PM.
          A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I did as you recommend and installed as directed. I used the recommended driver, as I have in the past with success. however, when I attempted to print something it said that the driver would not install.
            Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
            Testing with the Trusty:

The Cups (1.7.2) is working fine with
            - Firefox 30
            - Opera 12.16
            - Konqueror 4.13.0

The Cups is not working with the
            - Otter 0.9.01 - Is giving: 'Error 205 Unknown error' after the password has been typed.

Comment

I did as you recommend and installed as directed. I used the recommended driver, as I have in the past with success. however, when I attempted to print something it said that the driver would not install.
              Could you tell:

Has the cups 'Printers' tab the correct printer information ?

At here:

Is the correct printer on the application printer list ?

...it said that the driver would not install.
              It ?
              Could you add the exact error message ?
              A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Name:	printinfo.png
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	642271

To my knowledge the proper driver does not exist. For the past two distributions the driver indicated in the image has worked fine and was the only available working driver.

I took this image from the page that opens when I open the printer entry in System Settings.

Notice under Kind: Brother_HL-2170DW_ Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e (recommended), also notice in the first line of this png Brother HL-2270DW series, which is the identity of my printer.

Each installation of a previous distro or re-installation of any of the past three distro installations, the Driver mentioned under "Kind" has been the working driver for my printer. The difference is the installation of Kubuntu 14.04 the driver does not work, and still there is no driver specifically for my printer. There are 3 or 4 drivers available, each for an HL-2170W, however the one that I installed is the one that is recommended, as shown by the (recommended).

Since it worked in 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, and 13.10, and is not offered with any alternative in Kubuntu 14.04, I am at a loss to know what to do. Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                Could you tell:

Has the cups 'Printers' tab the correct printer information ?

At here:

Is the correct printer on the application printer list ?

It ?
                Could you add the exact error message ?

Comment

Did you sort everything out? Or are you still having trouble?

Comment

I am still having trouble. I also attempted to print using the Windows 7 dual boot without success. It is very frustrating, because it worked perfectly prior to the upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04,
                    Originally posted by soursen View Post

Comment

Pings in the order I filled out the CUPS site:

Name:	CUPSforAdministrators.png
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	642282Click image for larger version

Name:	FindNewPrinters.png
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	642283Click image for larger version

Name:	AvailablePrinters.png
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	642284Click image for larger version

Name:	AddPrinter.png
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	642285Click image for larger version

Name:	AddPrinter1.png
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	642286
                      Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                      I am still having trouble. I also attempted to print using the Windows 7 dual boot without success. It is very frustrating, because it worked perfectly prior to the upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04,

Comment

I installed each of the HL2170DW drivers, one at a time, and none worked.Click image for larger version

Name:	AddPrinter2.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	642287
                        Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                        Pings in the order I filled out the CUPS site:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5023[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5025[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5026[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5027[/ATTACH]

Comment

I don’t know whether it will help you, but if you are still having trouble, maybe it is worth trying.
                          I used it with a couple different types of Brother printers for 14.04.

To use the printer wirelessly:

(1) First, you need to set up the printer to have a static IP address on your network.
                          The printer has a built-in ethernet card as well as a built-in wireless radio.
                          For sake of example, you could assign 192.168.2.199 to be your printer’s wireless radio’s IP address.
                          These instructions might help get to that point:
                          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post10174567

(2) Next, download the printer drivers installer package (“Driver Install Tool”) from Brother website:
                          http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...0dw_all&os=128

Be sure to comply with the “Read before downloading requirements” on that webpage. (As far as I recall, the steps that were relevant or partially relevant were #2, #4, #5, and #10, for Kubuntu 14.04.)

(3) Then, proceed with the installation.
                          You will be asked multiple times to acknowledge various license agreements. When you get to the step that asks
                          Will you specify the Device URI?
                          answer “Y”

From the list that appears, choose the number that corresponds to “Specify IP address”.
                          Then enter the IP address that you previously assigned as the static IP for you printer’s wireless radio (eg, 192.168.2.199).

(4) From there you should be able to use Kubuntu’s System Settings —> Printer page to add the printer.
                          The connection should be to
                          socket://192.168.2.199
                          (fill in whatever IP address you assigned to the printer’s wireless radio). The driver should be the driver you downloaded from the Brother’s website.

Comment

I was able to get the Windows Vista printer to work on my laptop. I was also able to get the Windows 7 printer to work on Windows 7. But I still am stumped how to get Kubuntu 13.10 printer to work on my laptop or the Kubuntu 14.04 printer to work on my desktop. To reiterate, this all happened shortly after my upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04 on my desktop computer.My printer has worked fine on all four Operating Systems for over a year. It is frustrating to have to boot the Windows application just to make a print, however that is better than actually staying on a Windows OS. Thanks for your continued interest.

Originally posted by soursen View Post

Comment

If you are able to follow the method I suggested above, it should be trivial to reconfigure the settings with Windows Vista and Windows 7 to use the same IP address for the printer. Then the printer should work with Windows and Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                              X