This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing VMware from tar?

I'm having trouble intalling VMware-server from tar. I can get it unpacked, but when I I enter ./comfigure I get message, command not found. Is there something I'm missing?
    I've also tried installing rpm with alien -i. I think I have all of the depends loaded.
    Thanks Scott

Re: installing VMware from tar?

THis thread

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...+vmware+server

Suggests the command sequence is :

cd <<directory downloaded
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl

Comment

Sorry to be a pain but this is new stuff for me. I got vmware part way installed then got this message "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
      kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]" there is only a rpm folder here. Is there some place else I can look for the C header files?

Thanks Scott

Comment

Its asking for the the kernel headers. Open a console and type in
        Code:
        uname -r
        This will give you the version of the kernel you are running.

Next open Adept and search for linux-headers. It will have a boatload of different versions. Now just pick the one that matches the version from the above console command. Install it and then try your VMWare install again. it should go ahead and finish.

VMWare rocks....

PDR60

Comment

Thanks PDR60 for the help with vmware. I got it installed with little problems.
          I do have a question about vmware. There used to be an option in preference to fit with host resolution. Can't find it with the new version. Is there some other way of doing this? I've installed Win XPpro, I need 800X1200 for my laptop.
          Thanks again Scott

Comment

open Adept and search for linux-headers
            Did that
            I am running 2.6.20-16-generic
            It was already installed
            VMware choose the directory below automatically and I just agreed
            Could that be the problem?
            I checked to see where all the header files are and they are one level deeper, I mean under /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/build/include is another BOAT LOAD of folders and then inside of them are the header files. Which folder should I point VMware to if any?

This is the error output when installing:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
            kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/build/include]

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
            make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
            make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
            make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic'
            CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
            In file included from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:80:
            /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘compat_exit’
            /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘exit_code’
            /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘_syscall1’
            make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
            make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
            make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic'
            make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
            make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
            Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
            visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
            "http://www.vmware.com/support/refere...es_linux.html".

Execution aborted.
            Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Nikola Tesla

Comment

This should work:
              http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/09/...on-ubuntu-710/

Note: You should download the newest version:
              http://vmware.com/download/server/
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X