Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed attempt at formatting USB3 to make OS ISO.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed attempt at formatting USB3 to make OS ISO.

I want to format a USB3 Thumb Drive. I think it has lost+found on it, still, I want to put Crunchbang ISO on it. When I click on Erase to format the drive, the following message comes up:

org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.AttributeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/service.py", line 707, in _message_cb
    retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
    File "/usr/share/usb-creator/usb-creator-helper", line 218, in Format
    parent_dev = _get_parent_object(udisks, device)
    File "/usr/share/usb-creator/usb-creator-helper", line 49, in _get_parent_object
    parent = partition.get_cached_property('Table').get_string( )
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_cached_property'

I am not even sure the drive the Startup Disk Crestor is recognizing is the drive I must format, it does not have a description to check, and using “details” the size is shown as “unknown” so I can not verify by size, however, it is the only drive that makes any sense.

The USB3 stick had an OS on it previously. Using Gparted, I deleted the partition, then formatted to ext4, using the entire thumb drive. The startup disk creator selected a drive with appx. 125MB of data on it. Could Lost+found have 125MB of data that "details" would not recognize?

I opened Dolphin in Root and was able to open the lost+found folder. It was empty. I am curious why the storage container I am trying to format contains 125MB of data. It must not be the USB3 drive then, because it was an empty folder. If it is not the flash drive as I assumed, how do I get my flash drive recognized in the Startup Disk creator?

I opened Gparted to read the drives in my system. The only drive with MegaBytes in it is the thumb drive. In Gparted it claims the used space as 36.78MiB used. When I select the drive, it shows as completely empty.

Its identity in Gparted is:

/dev/sde1 ext4 /media/steven/8f439ddd-70c6-42ec-ae71-9289dad7ebe3 124.72GiB (Used)36.78MiB

I hope this makes sense to someone who knows what to do to make my USB3 a functioning ISO drive. 10Q

ya dont use the start up disk creator to format the stick ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,+ I think the start up disk creator expects the disk to be FAT32 to start with .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Can I format my USB flash, Vinny, and if so, how? It didn't work using Gparted. Thanks for the input, friend.
      Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      ya dont use the start up disk creator to format the stick ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,+ I think the start up disk creator expects the disk to be FAT32 to start with .

VINNY

Comment

By the way, to use the USB, you must "erase" existing data to make an ISO, however, if there is data remaining, like "lost+found" you cannot continue the installation.

I have Kubutnu 13.10 on a USB2 stick and another on a USB3 stick. Each have partitions and were made on new USB sticks. If I am not mistaken, I set the file system to ext4, and probably should have retained FAT32. The USB3 OS runs very fast and is great when showing Kubuntu to a Windows user who has USB3. I will purchase another USB3 Thumb drive if they cannot be formatted for further OS use, but, of course, I would prefer re-using one that I have. Thanks for the help, friend.

Comment

Working...
        X