Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE User Management Control Module - Where is it?? ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE User Management Control Module - Where is it?? ?

After seeing that Kubuntu recommended the upgrade to 14.04 due to the fact of 13.10 not being an LTS, I again upgraded. I was checking all the selections in System Settings and came to the final entry User Manager. Since I am old and probably never will have a new mate, I most probably not add a new user. I believe this why I have not interested myself in User Management to date.

I was setting the configuration in the User Manager window, mostly because it was there. When it asked for a password, I was confused, not knowing what the security was about, and since I have never needed to add a user, I am totally inexperienced on the issue.

I discontinued the configuration. By the way is the password different from user or root password? That was the reason I halted configuration in the first place. Is this an area that I need to become familiar even?

After doing my homework and reading all the discussion as posted in the Title of this post, it seemed like an area of use that would probably never be needed by me. If this is probable, I would like to be steered away from even trying to learn more about it. Thanks!

For info on the old "KDE USer Management" utility: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser+management. Interestingly, a post with the exact same title as yours.

Anything which requires admin level access, like adding a user, will also require the admin password before continuing. Assuming you are the admin user of your system (if you were the user set up during install, you are the admin user), the admin password is your password.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks friend, but I did read that prior to posting. Let me see if I can clear up my question. Occassionly but rarely, I have to have administrator access. I don't use it enough to have a good understanding of its importance, however, my concern is: Now that the developers have changed this feature, will it prohibit my access to Administrator level activity when needed?

It isn't likely that I will ever need to add an additional user, due to my personal needs, but Adminstrator access and use, that is another question. I can see that possibility.

But if I still have that access on the rare occasion that I need it, I think I won't bother with its configuration. Thanks for any reply. I am sure it is difficult for you to understand, you are so familiar with most everything Kubuntu, but, as I recall, the only time I needed to add a user was when I was attempting to set up a theatre system in my computer. I finally gave up on the project, one reason being the lack of need for adding a user, but the need for it in setting up that application. I have since found that I don't really need that media application anyway; the things I need and want to use are available without bells and whistles I wouldn't use anyway.
      Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      For info on the old "KDE USer Management" utility: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser+management. Interestingly, a post with the exact same title as yours.

Anything which requires admin level access, like adding a user, will also require the admin password before continuing. Assuming you are the admin user of your system (if you were the user set up during install, you are the admin user), the admin password is your password.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
        I was setting the configuration in the User Manager window, mostly because it was there. When it asked for a password, I was confused, not knowing what the security was about, and since I have never needed to add a user, I am totally inexperienced on the issue.

I discontinued the configuration. By the way is the password different from user or root password? That was the reason I halted configuration in the first place. Is this an area that I need to become familiar even?
        No. When you are asked (by the system) for a password, it is your password. As the user who installed your system, you have 'administrator' privileges "when needed".
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X