Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-instlaled Kubuntu 13.10, when instructed to Restart after install, had to Hard Shu

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-instlaled Kubuntu 13.10, when instructed to Restart after install, had to Hard Shu

I installed the Distribution upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04 and afterward decided I did not want to handle the bug fixes that are required in a new and incomplete operating system. I re-installed Kubuntu 13.10, and when the installation was finished and Restart required, I clidked on Restart.

My new computer case is designed for quiet. There is a door that closes over the face of the Optical Drives. Not used to having to open the door to access the optical drives, I forgot the door to the computer was closed when the installation completed. When I clicked on Restart after completing the installation, the computer case door would not allow the optical drive to open automatically for removal of the installation DVD. As a result, when I opened the computer case door, the optical drive remained closed. Repeated attempts to open the optical drive by pressing it's open button failed. Unable to get the shut-down to resume by removal of the Installation DVD then closing the optical drive, I was forced to shut down the system Hard. When I restarted my computer, the first screen showing read the following:

GNU GRUB BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completiong. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.
    grub> _

I believe this is due to an improper shutdown. I do not know how to utilize this information to correct any problems, and the Boot Order screen was unable to appear.

By entering the BIOS, I was able to access the Windows 7 Boot Loader to open Win 7 and create this post. Nonetheless, I do not know how to proceed and need help.

Thanks!

I see the thread is marked solved, but I'd like to add an observation.
    Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    grub> _
    That looks like the grub "rescue" prompt, where grub has loaded but can't find its config, usually in /boot/grub. I can't think of how a hard shutdown would cause that, unless the file system was badly corrupted.
    There are many threads (in many forums) on how to proceed given a grub rescue prompt.

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks John. I marked the problem as solved, because I was frustrated. I remembered how in the past I struggled with boot problems for months before giving up and reinstalling. Since several were reading the post and still no one seemed to have input, I decided to cut my losses and just re-install. I am getting pretty old and time is getting more precious.

In any event, I did attempt to install Kubuntu 13.10, a more stable version. I was expecting to be happy once more. When I restarted after installation, I no longer got the grub> _, it opened the Boot menu as expected. I had the opportunity to boot to Windows 7 or Kubuntu 13.10. However, when I opened Kubuntu, all the problems that I experienced in the newer Kubuntu 14.04 version remained.

I am totally exasperated, I thought when I checked the format box, all data was removed, yet that is apparently not the case. And since my system problems are so prominent, I checked the Windows application to see if Windows was affected too. Then I could consider hardware to be the problem. Buy Windows 7 works as well as Windows 7 can; there were no apparent defects, so I don't think hardware has anything to with the problems.

Since you still show interest in my problem. Do you know how I can remove Kubuntu from the SSD so that there are no lingering memories of previous configurations and problems?
      If I could somehow purge the SSD of all data, I should be able to make a clean install that does not retain any of the previous problems.
      Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      I see the thread is marked solved, but I'd like to add an observation.

That looks like the grub "rescue" prompt, where grub has loaded but can't find its config, usually in /boot/grub. I can't think of how a hard shutdown would cause that, unless the file system was badly corrupted.
      There are many threads (in many forums) on how to proceed given a grub rescue prompt.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Have you got a separate partition for /home? Presumably with data you want to keep? Sounds like the .kde directory in your home directory is screwy. If you manage to get Kubuntu running, try adding another user to see if the problems occur for that user. If you go for another reinstall,
        and you don't want to loose that /home, maybe initially using another user name would escape the lingering problems. If the new user does not have the trouble, then the trouble is caused by something in your home. Then you could try renaming the .kde directory (often called something
        like "moving aside"). Be quick to ask here about this if you're not familiar with it.

These days I suggest leaving /home on the same partition as the OS install, and mounting a /data separately for your stuff, setting up links from the home directory to that /data partition. That way configuration format changes between installs can't cause trouble, running several installs beside each other don't step on each other, and a buggered home directory can be fixed easily. There is some extra work repeatedly setting stuff up this way, though.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

I am missing part of a finger and hit the keys incorrectly. I lost my reply and will try to repeat myself.Here is how I set up my partitions:
          120GB SSD Kubuntu 13.10 64bit
          20GB Linux Swap
          1TB 6GBs SATA HDD /home
          212GB SSD Windows 7 Pro 64bit
          1TB SATA HDD /games and Windows storage

I kept my home drive on a separate partition for years now to make sure I don't lose daya if I have a catastrophic failure of the operating system. In my most recent build, I used an entire SSD for each operating system. I have so much SSD and HDD space, more than I need, so this did not seem wasteful.

My SSD for the Kubuntu OS is only 120GB, so I did not think it big enough to contain the /home partition too, but if it is big enough, I could do as you say. My 212GB SSD contains the Windows 7 Pro OS, and would have been a better choice for Kubuntu +/home.

It would appear I play a lot of games, which is not true. Those features are for my grandchildren when they are visiting. Almost all of the storage is unused.

Since I have not had problems with the Desktop that wasn't fairly easily repaired, I remember only once in the past renaming it .kdeold (I believe) and I am unable to remember the reason I did it.

If I do that now, and reboot, will the problems go away? I did install Kubuntu 13.10 successfully except for retaining the probable configuration problems inherited from the newer version. If renaming the .kde directory will fix my problem, I believe that is what I want to do.

I suspect the problem I will then have is to reconfigure everything, as well as, reinstall all applications that were not included when I installed the OS; is that so?

Since I am using my Windows 7 OS while Kubuntu is not functioning, I will wait for a reply to this post, before I go ahead and rename .kde. Please confirm that that is a suitable procedure so I don't screw up the system more. I have been using Kubuntu for about 20 years and am embarrassed that I have been intellectually incapable of learning how to use the command line and all its benefits. I have tried very hard; I am not lazy, I am just a bit stupid or limited in my abilities, whichever. Your kindness and help is most appreciated, my friend.
          Have you got a separate partition for /home? Presumably with data you want to keep? Sounds like the .kde directory in your home directory is screwy. If you manage to get Kubuntu running, try adding another user to see if the problems occur for that user. If you go for another reinstall,
          and you don't want to loose that /home, maybe initially using another user name would escape the lingering problems. If the new user does not have the trouble, then the trouble is caused by something in your home. Then you could try renaming the .kde directory (often called something
          like "moving aside"). Be quick to ask here about this if you're not familiar with it.

These days I suggest leaving /home on the same partition as the OS install, and mounting a /data separately for your stuff, setting up links from the home directory to that /data partition. That way configuration format changes between installs can't cause trouble, running several installs beside each other don't step on each other, and a buggered home directory can be fixed easily. There is some extra work repeatedly setting stuff up this way, though.

Comment

... I remember only once in the past renaming it .kdeold If I do that now, and reboot, will the problems go away?
            Well, worth a try; obviously, one can't be sure. For some problems it's a good idea to do the rename with KDE not running. A way to do this is log out, press ctrl-alt-F1, type your user name, press enter, your password (nothing is echoed), enter and
            then
            Code:
            mv .kde .kde-old
            exit
            press ctrl-alt-F7 to get the GUI back. Another way is to boot from another partition or a live CD or live USB; if it's Kubuntu then dolphin should be able to automount the /home, then rename the file after you "Show Hidden files"; no command line required.
            As well as .kde there's .config and .local, and a bunch of application specific hidden files and directories, but they rarely get screwed up.

I suspect the problem I will then have is to reconfigure everything, as well as, reinstall all applications that were not included when I installed the OS; is that so?
            If I understand correctly, you reinstalled Kubuntu, so yes, you have to do that anyway. Keep a note of what you do is a good idea, a practice I have striven to follow with only some success.

I kept my home drive on a separate partition for years now to make sure I don't lose data if I have a catastrophic failure of the operating system. In my most recent build, I used an entire SSD for each operating system. I have so much SSD and HDD space, more than I need, so this did not seem wasteful.

My SSD for the Kubuntu OS is only 120GB, so I did not think it big enough to contain the /home partition too, but if it is big enough, I could do as you say. My 212GB SSD contains the Windows 7 Pro OS, and would have been a better choice for Kubuntu +/home.
            When I suggested /home on the same partition as Kubuntu, I was suggesting keeping minimal data there. You'd still have almost all of your data on the partition that has /home now, in fact it's already there, it would be mounted somewhere else, say /media/user/home, and your home directory would have links to it. F.ex. if you presently have your photos in a Pictures directory, I envisage making a link to /media/user/home/user/Pictures in your home directory. Dolphin can make links easily, but if you don't like the default place for a mount (/media/user/...) just ask here how to set up the mount.

... paraphrased:I haven't learned to use the command line...
            IMO, that's not an issue.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

I am so pleased. Thanks! I did not get the gui back by entering ctrl+alt+f7, but when I got the login screen back, I booted and obviously to a repaired .kde. Now I just have the task of entering applications and configuring everything. I almost want the problem to appear every now and then; perhaps with a few repairs I could remember your solution so that I don't have to bother anyone again for the same problem. I have tried to figure out ways of saving these solutions but have never managed to save them either long enough to find them when needed, or forgot that I saved them. I am a pathetic old creature that has great intentions and less than perfect ability to learn long term, with one exception, the things I repeat often enough usually become long term, if they are repeated before forgetting and then enough times. I envy your Guru brains. Thanks again and Cudos
              Well, worth a try; obviously, one can't be sure. For some problems it's a good idea to do the rename with KDE not running. A way to do this is log out, press ctrl-alt-F1, type your user name, press enter, your password (nothing is echoed), enter and
              then
              Code:
              mv .kde .kde-old
              exit
              press ctrl-alt-F7 to get the GUI back. Another way is to boot from another partition or a live CD or live USB; if it's Kubuntu then dolphin should be able to automount the /home, then rename the file after you "Show Hidden files"; no command line required.
              As well as .kde there's .config and .local, and a bunch of application specific hidden files and directories, but they rarely get screwed up.

If I understand correctly, you reinstalled Kubuntu, so yes, you have to do that anyway. Keep a note of what you do is a good idea, a practice I have striven to follow with only some success.

When I suggested /home on the same partition as Kubuntu, I was suggesting keeping minimal data there. You'd still have almost all of your data on the partition that has /home now, in fact it's already there, it would be mounted somewhere else, say /media/user/home, and your home directory would have links to it. F.ex. if you presently have your photos in a Pictures directory, I envisage making a link to /media/user/home/user/Pictures in your home directory. Dolphin can make links easily, but if you don't like the default place for a mount (/media/user/...) just ask here how to set up the mount.

IMO, that's not an issue.

Comment

Working...
              X