This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some installation problems

I have been using a laptop with dual boot. AMD Turion 2.2 GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD and 512MBVRAM. I have windows-7 32 bit and Kubuntu 11.10 --- 32 bit already installed. Very rarely I used to use Kubuntu and mostly have been using Windows all these years. Since the Kubuntu has not been updated for very long, there are some problems with opening anything at all with Kubuntu OS loaded. Documents open but, powerpoint presentations and movies do not open in Kubuntu.

Recently, I downloaded Kubuntu 14.04 --- 32 bit (ISO image) using torrent in WIndows. Using an ISO writing software, I copied the same on a DVD and when I looked at the DVD in windows, I can see many of the files available in the DVD in the usual manner. I tried loading this DVD at start-up. Within about 30-45 seconds, the blue screen with the 'Kubuntu" at the center of the screen comes up and the DVD can be felt to be rotating for nearly 2-3 minutes. But, there is no further progress for loading Kubuntu. My aim was to just 'format' the portion containing Kubuntu without disturbing the windows portion and then re-write the new version (14.04) with dual boot as it exists. It happened repeatedly about 4-5 times and every time, I was not even able to switch off the laptop. I disconnected the power and disconnected the battery to get out of the situation. Now, the status-quo as it was about a week ago still exists with a capability of opening either windows or kubuntu on the laptop.

Could it be because the downloaded file was corrupt or could it be because the DVD has become corrupt during its preparation? Can I do something with this DVD to load up and update my Kubuntu? If I open the existing Kubuntu installation and try to update Kubuntu to the latest version, is there a chance of damaging the dual-boot installation that exists?

A "clean" install is advisable, especially if you haven't updated your previous Kubuntu version.
    If your DVD doesn't boot correctly you may have a damaged copy. Have you checked the MD5?

Comment

I thought checking MD5 was for files downloaded directly from the net. Since this file was downloaded through torrents (and it was an image --- ISO file), I assumed that there is no necessity. Am I supposed to check MD5 for the DVD also? And then, if it shows some error, what is the further course of actions?

Comment

Working...
      X