This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly, adieu

Regrettably Kubuntu 14.04LTS is not for me. I left the command line behind with DOS and have given up trying to install the driver for my Samsung ML1670 printer.

I cannot get my Microsoft Lifecam VX800 to work and the system just cannot see my USB speakers.

While trying to work through these problems, this evening the final straw was delivered when updating the software. A message appeared:

cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release i386 (20140416.1)]/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release i386 (20140416.1)]/dists/trusty/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release i386 (20140416.1)]/dists/trusty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release i386 (20140416.1)]/dists/trusty/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

Clearly Kubuntu is not for me. It is too far removed from what I am used to and I am not used to what should be straight forward updates becoming another headache.

It seems that finding a stable Linux distribution, which has a simple desktop and can readily install everyday hardware will not be easy.

EdwinJ

Have you tried a clean install_
    Have you checked if there are proprietary drivers ready to be installed?

Comment

Did you try this for the printer:
      http://karannangru.wordpress.com/201...-ubuntu-12-04/

Comment

<rant>

Left the command-line "behind" ? Gasp. How do you script things? How do you cut and paste commands? How do you do automated (cron) jobs?

Maybe you should try a Mac, where everything is hidden and you can be brainwashed into taking the steps as "they" (i.e. Big Brother) sees fit.

...unless you run a server, of course, in which case Mac is out of the question (since Mac doesn't really have servers). Oh, but if you ran a server efficiently you'd have to use the command-line.

It always seems to me that newbies eschew the command-line. Especially perpetual newbies.

</rant>

I really give a lot of credit to the patient replies by the other regulars, though. One thing that seems to have disappeared since the DOS days, at least, are the quick-to-flame wars... at least on Kubuntu Forums... you guys are a great community.
        Last edited by perspectoff; May 16, 2014, 11:54 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin\j View Post
          Regrettably Kubuntu 14.04LTS is not for me. I left the command line behind with DOS and have given up trying to install the driver for my Samsung ML1670 printer.

I cannot get my Microsoft Lifecam VX800 to work and the system just cannot see my USB speakers.

While trying to work through these problems, this evening the final straw was delivered when updating the software. A message appeared:

cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release i386 (20140416.1)]/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release i386 (20140416.1)]/dists/trusty/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release i386 (20140416.1)]/dists/trusty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release i386 (20140416.1)]/dists/trusty/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

Clearly Kubuntu is not for me. It is too far removed from what I am used to and I am not used to what should be straight forward updates becoming another headache.

It seems that finding a stable Linux distribution, which has a simple desktop and can readily install everyday hardware will not be easy.

EdwinJ
          I don't know if your still around these forums or have now left for pastures "greener" but if Kubuntu is not for you because of the issues you have highlighted then may I suggest a couple of other distros that default to using KDE (plasma desktop).

Mageia http://www.mageia.org/en/
          openSUSE http://www.opensuse.org/en/

Both of these are excellent distrubutions of Linux that use the KDE as their standard desktop and both have graphical tools to set up hardware (so you shouldn't need to use the command line (if you don't want to).

Comment

Working...
          X