This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer not recognized in Kubuntu 14.04

Hi there. I was using Ubuntu until recently. Then, I switched to Kubuntu 14.04 because its Wacom configuration tool is more convenient and appropriate for me. However, I have a small problem. Back, when I was using Ubuntu, I was able to use any printer just by plugging it in to the USB port. I cannot do the same in Kubuntu. For some reason, I am unable to setup and use any printer by plugging the USB cable. The configuration tool does not recognize any of the printers.

For the HP printers, I installed hplip-gui. It worked with one of the printers I am using, but didn't work with another one because it has Smart Install enabled, and, for some reason, the software is unable to disable it.

However, this works for HP printers only. What should I do with other printers? One of the guys referred me to CUPS. Is this the only way I can install printers in Kubuntu, or there is a way to make the default configuration tool detect my printers when I attach them.

You haven't posted any info about which printers you are talking about.

Please Read Me

Comment

The HP printers that were not detected with Kubuntu's default configuration tool were "HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401a" and "HP LaserJet Professional P1102w". Both are detected by hplip-gui, but the first is the one with Smart Install enabled. I haven't tested with other brands yet, but based with what happened with those two, I think any other printer from another model will not be detected. This expectation is based on the fact that the LaserJet Pro 400 was working on Ubuntu.

Comment

Have you tried "System Settings |Hardware | Printers" ?

Though a USB printer should have been auto detected.

Comment

@balckpaw

First of all, the printers were not auto-detected.

Second, I did try System Settings | Printers. When I did, I got two options: one to enter a URI manually, and the other was to use a network printer. There was no indication that there is a USB printer connected, although, when I tried hplip-gui, both are detected, and I successfully installed and used one of them

Comment

any help

Comment

Originally posted by abdelrahman View Post
              ... when I tried hplip-gui, both are detected, and I successfully installed and used one of them
              ? usually the problem is solved when the printer prints... but then you post

Originally posted by abdelrahman
              any help
              So, why is the printer being set up by HPLIP not a solution?
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi jlittle.. First of all, when I tried the printer that was installed with hplip-gui, it didn't work.. I had to re-install to get it to work... This is the first reason... Second, I want to know what to do with other brands... If I have a non-HP printer, what should I do I tried CUPS with the two HP printers, but they were also not recognized... How can I solve this problem... it is very weird for me, since the printers were detected smoothly in Ubuntu.. The only solution I have right now for this problem is to install Ubuntu on VirtualBox and use it when I need to print

Comment

Sorry, other than trying different USB ports, I'm not much use. I'd have thought that the underlying mechanism for detecting USB devices would be shared with Ubuntu. Can others help?
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

I don't know if this helps but...

How it works at here...

At here:
                    - new installation with the KDE desktop - using the kubunt-desktop as a template ( https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...t-Installation )
                    - Samsung ML-1665

Connecting the printer to the USB socket and turning the printer on.

The dmesg is telling:

:~$ dmesg
                    [ 950.061141] usb 4-2: new full-speed USB device number 2 using ohci-pci
                    [ 950.230209] usb 4-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=3301
                    [ 950.230218] usb 4-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
                    [ 950.230223] usb 4-2: Product: ML-1660 Series
                    [ 950.230227] usb 4-2: Manufacturer: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
                    [ 950.230231] usb 4-2: SerialNumber: Z4ZFBKCZ405860V.
                    [ 950.351318] usblp 4-2:1.0: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3301
                    [ 950.351364] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
                    and the lsusb command is telling:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04e8:3301 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
                    KDE System Settings > Printers

1) New Printer

2) Local

3) Driver (*)

4) Place

5) Ready

Seems to work...

(*) hmm - the recommed driver doesn't work...

I tried the recommed etc pre-installed drivers. There was no error messages but the printer didn't print. As I was hurry - I did a search with the ' samsung ml-1665 linux driver'. Downloaded and installed the Samsung's own drivers. Now the printer seems to work...

At here: 'Printing & Scan Driver (Driver) (ver.V1.00.06) Linux Nov 11, 2013 MULTI LANGUAGE'
                    Last edited by Rog132; May 18, 2014, 09:27 AM.
                    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks jlittle.. I also thought that the underlying mechanism for Kubuntu is the same of Ubuntu.

Regarding what you said Rog132... Today, Kubuntu detected one of the printers and the same thing happened for me.. there were three recommended drivers... none of them seems to work... I haven't tried looking for a driver on the internet... I will try this later.. For now, I installed Ubuntu on a virtual machine and the printers are working well

Comment

Working...
                      X