This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

returned to kdm, removed LightDM, things are broken

Using Kubuntu 14.04, I changed back to KDM after upgrading to 14.04 (from 12.04) and having LightDM thrust upon my machine. My home/me/ Documents and Downloads and other sub-directories are gone. Firefox, though installed, has no launcher icon (I have fixed that). Thunderbird seems to think I just installed it, all of my accounts, add-ons, mail messages are gone. All of my Documents are missing.

What the.... How do I get all of that back? There's a script in my home directory now: "Access your private data desktop". Now (possibly as a result of clicking it), there are many encrypted directories under my home. How do I convert those back to my familiar directories and files?

Why did this happen without any permission from me? I don't get it- we are forbidden from logging into a GUI as root for our own protection, and that makes sense- but when I follow the rules and innocently make a change, a garbage typhoon ransacks my machine without permission or even warning.

I just want to get something done in a friendly computing environment.

Thanks for your help. I sure do need it!

Seems like you chose the option to encrypt your home directory during installation, which is unrelated to your KDM/LightDM problem.

I don't see how switching from LightDM to KDM would create unusual side-effects. Can you recall the process you followed -- which commands did you type, and in which order? Looking in /var/log/apt/history.log may help here.

Comment

Thanks so much. That is it- the encryption. I logged in as a different user and the directories were gone, and I didn't make the connection until being asked whether I had requested to encrypt the directory. I can now undo this and not lose anything.

Comment

Glad we could help out.

Comment

Working...
        X