Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to auto-recognize drive units on boot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to auto-recognize drive units on boot?

Hi all, I have a problem with my HTPC based on Kubuntu.

I have an SSD for the OS and a 2tb drive for files. Everytimes I boot the computer I have to go to Dolphin file manager and enter on the secondary drive that appears as a device; this is because it appears with a red croos icon, and when I enter on it it changes to a green ok icon.

If I enter XBMC without having done this, I can't access to the content of this drive, so I always have to enter dolphin and open drive before opening XBMC.

It's very annoying, so... how can I make kubuntu enable this drive automatically on every startup? It also happend if a use a USB hard drive, by default I cant access to it until I open in dolphin.

I want Linux to automount? (not sure if it's the appropiate word) all units on start and show them with green ok icon instead red cross.

Many thanks in advance

/etc/fstab is the place to setup your file mounts for disks you will mount at boot.

for usb you do not need to open in dolphin you just need to hit the mount icon when the dialog pops up. you can also set devices that are known to be automounted on connect via the removeable devices widget .(right click on the widget to access its settings)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      /etc/fstab is the place to setup your file mounts for disks you will mount at boot.

for usb you do not need to open in dolphin you just need to hit the mount icon when the dialog pops up. you can also set devices that are known to be automounted on connect via the removeable devices widget .(right click on the widget to access its settings)
      Many thanks for the answer, I'll try a bit later (at this moment I can't) and tell you the result.

The question is that I would like to make Linux automount automatically all connected units, so I can configure it to start XBMC automatically when HTPC boots. Is there any way to do it? I mean, I tomorrow I add anocher internal disk, not no have to reconfigure /etc/fstab.

Many thanks

Comment

if the disk is internal you should set up it in /etc/fstab. otherwise use the mount options in the removeable media (device notifier? ) widget.

Comment

if the disk is internal you should set up it in /etc/fstab. otherwise use the mount options in the removeable media (device notifier? ) widget.
          Many Thanks,

I will do it for using samba locations since I see it's useful for this, by now I solved this problem in this way:

see systemsettings -> removable devices -> attached drives

for all removable drives:
          1) -> enable automatic mounting .........., click preferences
          or for only that 1 drive:
          2) -> select the usb driv -> click automount on login & automount on attach

Honestly, I really really can't figure out why this option is not enabled by default.

Regards

Comment

That is the same dialog you would have seen if you had right clicked on the device notifier and looked in its setting for removeable drives.

Comment

That is the same dialog you would have seen if you had right clicked on the device notifier and looked in its setting for removeable drives.
              Ok, I'll keep in mind

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
              X