This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parport0?

I just upgraded to Trusty, and have an application that uses parport0. There is a 0-byte "parport0" entry in /dev but modprobe produces "Module parport0 not found." This has got to be a genuinely newbie question, but I've forgotten (or never knew) how to install or activate it.
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Do you have /dev/lp0?

If your program has the ability to change devices, try that one. Otherwise link it.

EDIT: Oh sorry, re-read your OP. Try modprobe parport_pc && modprobe ppdev
    Last edited by oshunluvr; May 07, 2014, 07:10 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Do you have /dev/lp0?

If your program has the ability to change devices, try that one. Otherwise link it.

EDIT: Oh sorry, re-read your OP. Try modprobe parport_pc && modprobe ppdev

Thanks!
      Here's the terminal output:
      user@user-N105:~$ modprobe parport_pc && modprobe ppdev
      user@user-N105:~$

If this might be relevant, I checked the BIOS and found Parallel Port Address [378], Parallel Port Mode [ECP], ECP Mode DMA Channel [DMA3], and Parallel Port IRQ [IRQ7].
      -- Werdigo49

Comment

If modprobe works there is no output. Did you try your application?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          If modprobe works there is no output. Did you try your application?
          Gee, I'm ashamed for not remembering that. Anyway, the problem program is cwdaemon, a Morse-code program used by us ham-radio operators. Here's the output when I try to start it:

user@user-N105:~$ sudo cwdaemon -n
          cwdaemon: Not forking...
          cwdaemon: Device used: parport0
          cwdaemon: Press ^C to quit
          ^Ccwdaemon: Exiting
          user@user-N105:~$

My guess is that "Device used: parport0" indicates the parport issue is OK, but "not forking" indicates a problem somewhere else. If so, maybe this discussion belongs on one of my ham-radio groups.
          -- Werdigo49

Comment

Please don't be ashamed or embarrassed because a little something was forgotten here or there. That's exactly why we use these forums: so others can remember for us. Unfortunately, you might be right about the app itself. I doubt many here know of it and I for sure don't. Good luck though! Please post back here if you find a solution. You never know who it might help in the future.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X