X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LInux Cube in KDE Enviroment

Hey Guys,

I am a new linux user. I was given this O.S. in referal from one of my linux professors at my school. I am trying to use the cube in my Enviroment. I have already turned on the two checkboxes in the desktop effects settings but how do I actually use it?

Ctrl+F11 is the default keyboard shortcut to active the cube. When you checked the boxes, if you had clicked on the wrench icon you would see the settings.

Welcome to Kubuntu Linux and Kubuntu Forums . Net.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Firstly, desktop effects have to be enabled and functioning. You might need an "additional driver" for your graphics hardware.

As you noticed, there's two desktop effects that say "cube": "Desktop Cube" and "Desktop Cube Animation". The latter applies whenever and however you change desktop, at least:
      • click on the pager in the panel
      • press the key combo for the desktop, defaults to Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-F2...
      • invoke a mouse action on the desktop, that's been set to "switch desktop" (I use left and right scroll, if my mouse has it, or the wheel if not)
      There may be others... KDE is like that.
      As Snowhog says, the default key press to do "Desktop Cube" is Ctrl-F11; after pressing it, you have to grab the cube (a cube for 4 desktops, a regular polygon prism otherwise) with the mouse and drag it to rotate the prism.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

In addition to a certain graphics driver (proprietary in my case) I also had to set the compositing type to OpenGL in System Settings --> Desktop Effects on the advanced tab.
        In System Settings --> Workspace Behavior on the Desktops tab I have 4 desktops and one row.
        sigpic

Comment

Having worked with the cube, and posted MANY threads listing all of the things that "used to have to be enabled" to enable the cube, the below summarize it pretty well, I used it to make my teaching, grading, etc, several fold more efficient and used it exclusively until I got "into" the whole plasma thing...but....what they said is the gist of what one needs to do.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
          X