This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uninstalled xine, regretting it

I'm running Kubuntu (dd) on a powerbook g4.

A few days ago, I tried installing gtkpod which didn't behave very well. The next time I booted, I was informed that xine could no longer find the audio drivers. Rashly perhaps, and not at all understanding how many parts of Kubuntu rely on xine, I decided to uninstall and reinstall xine to see if that would fix things.

I used adept to do the uninstall. About a third of the way through the uninstallation, the progress bar froze, I clicked on details and saw that it was waiting for permission to uninstall KDM! Aborted the process.

Now all is borked. I can't even find adept or get it to run from the command line. My K menu was even missing, though I was able to replace it. I'm not sure how to proceed without adept, and I'm only semi-comfortable with apt-get.

Do I have any options short of a complete (and 2nd) reinstall?

Re: uninstalled xine, regretting it

Do you have Add/Remove Programs in your menubar? If so, run that, and search for Adept and reinstall it from there? From there on in you should be able to do a safe upgrade with Adept, which I THINK will repair broken packages.

*PLEASE NOTE* I am new to linux, and I am from the 'Mess with it till it breaks, then try and fix it' school....my advice might be dangerous :P

Comment

Working...
    X