This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

login as root?

I tried Kubuntu in the hopes of using it instead of windows xp for doing simple stuff like surfing the net. It was all going fine until I tried buring a cd. Getting the burner software installed was easy. I poped in a blank cd the software could not see it. I eventually found a place where could right click to mount it. Now it would not let me because I was not in root. What is this? I have no root password? Garbage. What am I supposed to do? Logout. login as root, mount the cdrom, logout, hope to god its still mounted when i log back in regular mode. I read not to log in as root full time so I tried not to. This is where linux fails. Its just me using the machine. There is no sys admin here that I can see. Once linux gets rid of the login crap i'll try it again. If anyone else has troubles like me, the fix is to format the drive and install windows. No need to login or to remember a root password to configure things.

miker

Re: login as root?

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Consider that the world doesn't revolve around you and that others have had different experiences.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Don't you have to remember a password for checking your email and such ? Surely you could remember one more. Anyways, prefix all of your commands with sudo.

You could setup sudo to actually always remember your password then you never have to type it again. Going back to Windows just because of a password seems a bit over the edge. Unfortunately, linux isn't for everyone though.

Comment

No OS is for everyone, not even (despite what Miker might think) Windows.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

sounds like you need to read
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=6694.0
          and
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3688.0

been driving me nuts for 2 weeks now

Comment

As I see it, it's much worse to have to remember a password than it is to leave your system open for any program that wants to change the OS...

That was sarcasm btw

Comment

Working...
            X