This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwanted objec that appeared after the dist upgrade to 14.04

Since installing the distribution upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04, I have a problem I do not understand and am therefore unable to search for solutions.

My Desktop screen has the KDE menu panel located on the top of the screen. A new object is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen that has not appeared before, and I am unable to remove it. It is not a part of the panel but covers the panel.

It has an item called Display Brightness that gives you the ability to click and drag to increase display brightness.

Below that is a checkbox entitled Enable Power Management.

Below that is Logitech, Inc. M705 (which is my lazer mouse) with a rating on a bar that indicates 95%.

These three items have the appearance of a widget. Right-clicking on the items does NOT provide for removal, nor do the choices include the ability to change settings or configuration. The dropdown by right-clicking the object indicates the following choices:

Run Command...
    Activities...
    Unlock Widgets...
    Lock Screen...
    Leave...
    Default Desktop Settings

When I move the cursor to cause the hidden panel to appear, the new object remains and covers the Kmenu Icon on the panel and part of other widgets located on the default panel. How do I identify and remove the three-item object?

What does thi sobject look like? A screenshot would be really helpful.

Comment

Unlock Widgets. You 'should' be able then to quit this undesired desktop widget.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is in the upper left corner of my desktop. Clicking on it, even after unlocking widgets, does not provide a quit option.Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	640746
        I did not know how to describe it, because it appeared to be related to from 1 to 3 applications. Thanks friend!
        Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
        What does thi sobject look like? A screenshot would be really helpful.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 26, 2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I tried that. I replied with a screenshot. I also answered your question. I was not able to remove, after unlocking widgets, so I don't think it or they are widgets. If you look at the screenshot, the item in question is in the upper left corner of the left monitor. Thanks for any further help!
          Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Unlock Widgets. You 'should' be able then to quit this undesired desktop widget.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot.png
Views:	2
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	640747Part does not appear due to the instruction box how to copy a selected area.
            Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
            It is in the upper left corner of my desktop. Clicking on it, even after unlocking widgets, does not provide a quit option.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4878[/ATTACH]
            I did not know how to describe it, because it appeared to be related to from 1 to 3 applications. Thanks friend!

Comment

I've seen this, somehow the power management dialog from the system tray gets attached to the desktop. I don't know what I did to get it there, but if you check the box "enable power management" in that offending block it should go away. Since this happened on my desktop, I disabled the battery monitor widget after this happened. It hasn't come back

You can do that via a right-click on the little arrow on the systray

Click image for larger version

Name:	animation.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	640750

I dunno if this animated gif helps, but I figured I'd try making one from a screencast I made using
              simple screen recorder
              and
              http://blog.room208.org/post/48793543478

mmkay why did it convert it to a jpeg
              I am grumpy now lol

Last edited by claydoh; Apr 26, 2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

While working the problem, the item seems to come and go from time to time. It doesn't seem to be anything I am doing that causes this. It is off the screen right now, so I guess I will just have to wait and hope it is removed permanently. Thanks friend.
                Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                I've seen this, somehow the power management dialog from the system tray gets attached to the desktop. I don't know what I did to get it there, but if you check the box "enable power management" in that offending block it should go away. Since this happened on my desktop, I disabled the battery monitor widget after this happened. It hasn't come back

You can do that via a right-click on the little arrow on the systray

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4883[/ATTACH]

I dunno if this animated gif helps, but I figured I'd try making one from a screencast I made using
                simple screen recorder
                and
                http://blog.room208.org/post/48793543478

mmkay why did it convert it to a jpeg
                I am grumpy now lol

Comment

Working...
                X