This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub backup

What should I do to make a backup of grub? I mean the scenario when something wrong happens, you have to reinstall windoz and grub is lost - how to bring it back?

Re: grub backup

If you want to make a backup copy of your grub conf file then do the following command:

Code:
    sudo cp -a /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.old
    If you have somewhere else you would rather keep it, then the second part of the command you would replace accordingly. For instance, I would keep mine in my users home directory possibly, so I would do this:

Code:
    sudo cp -a /boot/grub/menu.lst /home/hawkwind

Comment

But the problem is that if you reinstall windows, grub is overriden and you have no way of running linux. So you can`t get to the old conf file, and even if, then there is no way to put it back on linux partition/disk since windows doesn`t know how to open it. If I didn`t make myself clear previously I apologise.

Comment

Originally posted by beholder
        But the problem is that if you reinstall windows, grub is overriden and you have no way of running linux. So you can`t get to the old conf file, and even if, then there is no way to put it back on linux partition/disk since windows doesn`t know how to open it. If I didn`t make myself clear previously I apologise.
        My recommendation is to download and install GRUB for DOS.  It will run off a floppy disk, and will find either a Windows installation or Linux and boot them without specifying any installation specific parameters.  I know this has worked, because I've used it myself.  How to set up the menu.lst file for the floppy is in their rather extensive readme. 

You can also download GAG, the Smart Boot Manager, or the Ultimate Boot CD.  I have (and have had occasion to use) all of them, and they are indispensable tools for rescuing an existing Linux system.

As if that isn't enough, you can download a SuSE or Fedora Core ISO, and burn the CDs. Even if you have no intention of installing either, each comes with an option to Rescue an Existing System.

HTH

Comment

Working...
        X