X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two problems

So far I like what I've seen of Kubuntu. Just installed 5.10

Problem #1: My monitor is THEORETICALLY capable of 1600x1280, but in fact is unstable at that resolution . Kubuntu insists on booting into that video mode for login and it results in a mildly corrupted display and loss of sync if left too long that way. Once in, I have configured my desktop for 1280x1024 and for KDE to restore that setting on boot, but the login screen is messed up.

Question: Is there somewhere I can specify that X start in 1280x1024 from the get-go?

Problem #2: My sound system is constantly muttering. When I play an audio CD via Kaffiene or Amarok, the sound is chopped as if being listened to through helicopter rotor blades. The default application which starts up when I insert an audio CD (KSCD) makes no sound whatever.

Question: How can I determine the cause? Sound works perfectly in Yoper, Xandros, and Windblows, just not in Kubuntu.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim

Re: Two problems

Do the following in a konsole window to reconfigure your video. It will take you through it step by step. At one point you can choose the resolutions to use. Just disable the resolutions you don't want to use.

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: Two problems (sound)

As for your sound problem, it'll take a little bit more elimination to work out what the cause of the problem is.

It's likely that your sound server or playing engine has a problem. In the amarok settings what engine is amarok configured to use?

I think the default for amarok is the gstreamer engine, and this doesn't work well on my laptop, so I use the xine engine instead. If you don't see the xine engine as an option you have to install it through apt-get (or adept or kynaptic). the package is called "amarok-xine".

eg; from a command prompt type "apt-get install amarok-xine"

Comment

Re: Two problems (sound)

Originally posted by zeuice
        As for your sound problem, it'll take a little bit more elimination to work out what the cause of the problem is.

It's likely that your sound server or playing engine has a problem. In the amarok settings what engine is amarok configured to use?

I think the default for amarok is the gstreamer engine, and this doesn't work well on my laptop, so I use the xine engine instead. If you don't see the xine engine as an option you have to install it through apt-get (or adept or kynaptic). the package is called "amarok-xine".

eg; from a command prompt type "apt-get install amarok-xine"
        It probably is the Gstreamer engine. I have never once gotten that engine to perform properly on any distro or app.

Comment

Working...
        X