Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help! How do I install my Lexmark printer!!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help! How do I install my Lexmark printer!!?

Hi,
    One of you clever people must know how to do this!!
    I am totally new to Linux and need help installing my printer!
    I have a Lexmark X2350 printer. When I run the add new printer program, it recognises my printer as a Lexmark 2300 series, I click on it, then it asks me to select the manufacturer of the printer, which I do, then it asks me to select the model. My model is not listed and I don't have a driver for linux for this printer. How do I continue??
    Please help!! i really need to get my printer working asap!!
    Thanks for your help with this matter, I really appreciate it!

Re: Please help! How do I install my Lexmark printer!!?

Please, someone must know how to get my printer working with Kubuntu!!!

Comment

Installing printers in Kubuntu Dapper can be a real pain.

Try this from a console:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install gnome-cups-manager
      then after it installs, from a console ...

Code:
      gnome-cups-manager
      and add your printer.

Comment

I can't guarantee this will work, but when my printer's driver wasn't available I just selected the next closest model number. It worked fine. It might be worth a try.

Josh

Comment

I tried the gnome thing, but it still did not work. The closest model it could find was a Lexmark 2030, it set up a driver for that, it asked what its name is and location, which I did not know what to put, so i left it blank. When I tried to print off a test page, nothing happened.

Comment

"Here is a reply I received from Lexmark support-
            Dear Darrell,

Please accept my heartfelt apologies for the problems you are experiencing with your Lexmark product. To the best of my knowledge, there are currently no plans to develop Linux drivers to support this model."

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/f/topic-3-13-13070-0.html

This was the first hit to the query 'lexmark x2350 driver' in google.com/linux.

Remember that site.

Comment

Being a Windows user that plays with Linux, I hate the last post. The "looks like you're screwed, newb" answer really bothers me. That said...

I have a Lexmark x85 which I got working for Kubunut 5.10. I have yet to set it up on 6.06. Since cups did not work for you, have you tried Foomatic? http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html
              Or Gimp? http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

I remember setting up my printer took a little time and caused some frustration. I would suggest trying different "similar" Lexmark printers from the driver list and see if any of them work for you. Also try searching the forums for more information.

Comment

Bothersome or not linux users have to move on and accept the fact that some devices aren't or won't be supported, plain & simple,.

For a similar model ...

"Color inkjet printer, this is a Paperweight"

Lexmark x2250

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...=Lexmark-x2250

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it!
                  I moved to Linux because I thought it was a free, brilliant and safe OS. I was lead to believe that the Linux community is made up with the best programmers and computer people in the world all with the common goal of making Linux the best and getting everyone to move to Linux.
                  How can you honestly expect that to happen though when an average guy decides to make the move and he can't even get his printer to work!!!!!! Are you telling me all these brilliant computer hackers who love Linux out there can't get a driver working for a simple Lexmark printer!!! To be honest, this experience has amazed me!!
                  Surely there must be a computer genius out there who would like to take this up as a challenge!!!
                  Someone please help, I can not afford to be a new printer when I have a perfectly good printer sitting here doing nothing! My printer is a Lexmark X2350.
                  I look forward to your replies and some good news!!

Comment

Well, we can get all idealistic about how companies should support linux with every peripheral they make, even if linux has just a 5% market share (plus/minus a few), plus the financial repurcussions, marketing, development, etc but I won't. 

Fortunately you have a clear alternative ... get another printer that's supported! Not only are many cheap, your $'s support a company that supports Linux. 

Comment

This may be a little off topic, but since Lucky Luxy has some "interesting" preconceived notions about Linux I submit the following link. http://i18n.counter.li.org/reports/place.php?place=US
                      Now consider when Windows XP was released.

Comment

I also am trying to get this printer to work as an SMB shared printer. It's hooked via network to my wifes XP Home box. The 'server's' audible comes up with 'Printing started/printing complete' when using a generic/and various other drivers. It just seems like the All-In-One is not sure what where to send the data.

i.e. is it a doc/fax/scan/copy..

I am thinking the WinDOS driver shoots a 'document type' code out before it does the print job. Not exactly sure, but hey the printer was FREE with my wifes machine, so why complain. If it's that important, I move it over, and print from her OS. Since her machine is less than 7 feet away, it's just a roll of the chair.

MY biggest boggle is that I can't print from my XP Pro; gaming box, to her XP Home box. I've found M$ restricts networking capabilities between Pro and Home to keep Pro in the office, and Home at home. And apparently Home can print to Pro, but not Pro to Home. Now THAT is something to get pissed about, not the fact that some 50 dollar printer don't work in Linux.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like I will have to get myself a new printer!!
                          Can you give me advice on what one I should buy? I prefer an all in one printer with scanner. Can you guys tell me what one you suggest, that will work without problems on Kubuntu. Also, can you tell me how I can get its various functions to work, as I have heard on these forums that sometimes on multi function printers, people can only get the printer to work, but not the scanner parts etc!!
                          Cheers for your help!

Comment

Sorry bro, did not mean to come off harsh. I just get offended when people think Linux is a toaster.

Hell, it took me two years to get off the command prompt. ROFLMAO!!! My wife could hear me cussing at the machine, googling on another, back, and (O^&*%&*&%^*&^()%^%^&^I^%^&(&^$*&$^&$*&*(

LOL!! Anyhoo, OpenSource is a whole new animal, and it requires different food.

Anyrate.. Try this hardware list, it should help.

List

-cheeers

Comment

When you look at the Linux counter page from bayou64, you mioght like to take into consideration this page (that explains the drop...): http://i18n.counter.li.org/news/deletion.php

Take care

Comment

Working...
                              X