This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partition Question

Hi all, I'm fairly new to Linux. I've played around with some other distros in the past on older machines, but when my Windows box went haywire again 2 months ago, I decided I'd had enough and installed Kubuntu. I've been able to figure most of my problems out by checking docs and trolling the forums but I'm a little impatient on this one.

Before I installed Kubuntu, I copied all of my docs, videos, pictures, etc. to a second hard drive thinking that after I'd installed Kubuntu, I'd simply copy them over. The one thing I forgot to check was the filesystem of the 2nd drive. Of course it was NTFS which has caused me countless hours of headaches. Today I finally got it mounted correctly and was able to access it. I've moved all of the files I want off of it and now would like to repartition and format as ext3. After that I would like to move my /home directory to the second drive.

I am using Qtparted and have successfully created a new partition using all available space on the drive, however when I choose to format it as ext3, everything appears to be fine, but I'm left with the drive still showing "unknown" for a filesystem. What am I missing here?

My second question is: When I do get this thing formatted how do I go about moving the /home directory to the second drive? Can I simply drag n drop the folder in Konqueror or do I need to edit fstab?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Partition Question

While i cant recomends a replacement to qtparted i recomend you look for one because its outdated and is horribly buggy. I'll look and see if there is a decient partiioner and get back to you. that should slove the problem unless i missed somthing.

obtw: i'll say the obvouse. are you ok with the command line if so use cfdisk that may work but i'll keep looking for a gui partioner.

Comment

Actually I am trying to learn to work from the command line whenever I can. I'm old enough that I grew up with DOS so I can appreciate the power of working directly from the command line. I'll try cfdisk and see what I can do. Thanks!

Comment

Ok cool just make sure you post the results ether postive or nagtive so that if you still need help we can help.

Comment

If you want a gui partitioner, I use the latest gparted live CD and found it very useful

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Comment

OK, I played around with cfdisk and couldn't get anywhere. Admittedly, I've been busy the last couple of days, so I probably just didn't put enough time into it. I tried gparted and managed to get the disk formatted as ext3. Now I need to move my /home folder to this disk. Should I simply rename my home folder and then remount the 2nd disk as /home and then copy the contents of my current home folder over? Or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

No - its not quite that simple. Luckily one of the most experienced people on this forum wrote a guide.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome.html

Comment

Working...
              X