This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

window + interface flat theme

After 5 years I`ve decided to return to using KDE 4 with ubuntu, and the interface is still the same... I`d like to know more on how to change it to a flat interface like windows 8, I haven`t been able to find anywhere some decent info on how to modify the window manager and the Qt (I assume) interface. Also the task bar. Does anyone have a nice list of resources

I haven't noticed any themes trying to replicate Win8, but have seen some for Aero.

Have you poked around System Settings > Appearance > Style, and Workspace Appearance?

There are configure and 'Get New' buttons.

Comment

exactly what kind of look you are after? you mean you want a classic menu? biger icons like in netbook plasma or homerun? homerun kicker menu?

there actually is windows 8 KDE theme.

Comment

I have looked in windows settings, even downloaded a flat window manager, but its still too small the windows bars.

there actually is windows 8 KDE theme.
        Do you have a link to it?

Comment

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=163538

I think it's emerald or something you are after. i saw a desktop on display from someone in Google+ i am tryign to ifnd a link but can't. i just remember he used an emerald theme. oh and only the view is replicated, not the actually metro UI i believe. KDE look has plenty of themes and such. you should also find them in themes in settings

hmm or did they made it on Gnome....

Comment

I have no idea what you mean by a "flat window manager" - I've never heard that term.

There is a Gnome theme: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=158553

The "window manager" is the part of the OS that handles windows placement and appearance within the windowing system. You can disable composting (flatten out the window manager?) in System Settings to remove all window 3D effects. There are also a couple "flat" themes for QtCurve on kde-look.org. In KDE we have a panel, a task manager, and windows decorations, all of which can be themed to a different look.

Please Read Me

Comment

Neither do I know what you mean by a 'flat' interface.
              But if you're after a touch screen or tablet experience like Windows 8 you might want to look for 'KDE Plasma Active'.

Comment

I suspect the OP is asking for a theme that's devoid of the 3-D look we see in Oxygen, not an actual "flat window manager."

Thing is, when I was running Windows 8 in my VM for a while, I grew tired of the flatness very quickly. The 3-D shading of buttons, scroll bars, and menus actually helps improve navigation about the desktop. When everything is rendered as a flat surface, with all the same color (white), it's more difficult to determine where things are.

Comment

I gave up and installed Gnome 3 with a metacity theme that gives me solid color windows and a gtk+ theme that resembles the Windows 8 gui. Gnome 3 is a beauty... I have no idea why Ubuntu changed to Unity.

Comment

Ubuntu has different goals and operates at a different pace than GNOME.

Just like KDE has different goals and operates at a different pace.

Comment

Working...
                    X