Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System stop loading at the screen with the HDD symbol.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I allso think you should look at disk usage now as well,,, if /home got full it could lock like this as well ,,,,,,,,,do you have separate / and /home partitions and a swap partition ?

the
    Code:
    df -h
    will show the disk usage of "mounted" file systems ,,,,,,,,,
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    will show all disks and partitions whether mounted or not, with usage info as well

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Just installed Kubuntu again ... lost all my data, nothing important just some apps i need to install all over again. i wonder why KDE doesn't have a "Restore everything to default" thing. or at least a fail-safe desktop mode like windows.

Anyway thanks for the help, you all are such a friendly comunity.

Comment

KDE and most of Linux does have such a mode, it is the second instance in Grub.
        And having a separate /home partition is part of the trick to restore easily.

Comment

i don't think so, because i couldn't start the desktop even in the second option of my grub, the so called "Recovery" mode.

Comment

That sucks and means your install is seriously mucked up and a fresh one is called for.
            As said before, having good partitioning (a separate /home) makes it quite easy to do a reinstall.

I would have a good look at the hardware, most notably if your hard disk is still in good health...

Comment

Yes, i'd rather have 1000 BSOD per year than one freaking error thats impossible to fix and cause the loss of every single app ... i think i'm going back to windows ... at least in windows even if i delete everything in the boot part i could still reinstall just the OS without losing any apps or data.

Comment

Originally posted by IReallyNeedHelp View Post
                Yes, i'd rather have 1000 BSOD per year than one freaking error thats impossible to fix and cause the loss of every single app ... i think i'm going back to windows ... at least in windows even if i delete everything in the boot part i could still reinstall just the OS without losing any apps or data.
                that makes no sense.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

you should try it ... i did it with XP.

Comment

What do you mean with 'the loss of every single app'?
                    Providing you started off (on Linux) with a proper partitioning scheme it's easy enough to do a reinstall, virtually all custom configurations and data, docs etc. will remain in tact.
                    And, contrary to MS products you don't have to sit there and hit continue at multiple reboots...

But hey, you are happy with XP, more power to you!
                    (You'll need it)

Comment

If you lost all your data it's because you didn't protect your data by using a separate /home. I can't imagine what you're talking about "deleting the boot part" with Windows. That makes no sense either. If you re-install Windows, it wipes your drive clean including your user folder and all installed apps.
                      Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 13, 2014, 03:22 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X