This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

error messages while installing kubuntu

I completely wiped my Pentium 3 pc and tried installing kubuntu from a cd ,found in computer active magazine, then from a downloaded version. Both times (done repeatedly) i've gotten up to a stage were the desktop is showing however i encounter several error messages reading-

Error-Kdesktop

The process for the system protocol died unexpectedly.

then further similar messages reading
    The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly.
    and
    The process for the media protocol died unexpectedly.

Can anyone come up with explanations on why this is happening and what I can do to sucessfully install Kubuntu.

Thanks

Also I sometimes get the KDE crash handler popping up saying that "the application Kdesktop crashed and caused the signal 6 (SIGABRT)"

Re: error messages while installing kubuntu

If either has a feature to check the CD for errors, enable it and check.  Seems unlikely, but it never pays to overlook the obvious. 

You can try also to rescue your system, and there is an option for that from the text-mode install CD. 

More drastic, you have an opportunity to pass parameters to the kernel at the GRUB screen.  When GRUB loads, move the down arrow one row, then backup to disengage the timer.   Read the instructions at the bottom of the screen for either dropping to a shell or editing GRUB. 

If you can get to a prompt, type init 1 to drop to single user text mode as root.  (Double-check the init level; it's not standard across all systems ..)

You can then try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to see if that helps. 

I don't know if in single user mode whether apt-get works, but assuming your problem is kde-specific, you might try

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, which should launch a network install.  If that doesn't fix your problem you can try

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

to see if you can get in under another desktop.  If you cannot, you likely have a hardware issue, or a compatibility issue.

I know that these instructions are vague.  I'm a relative newcomer to Kubuntu myself, but wanted to offer you what help I could.  If you have doubts, wait for other (better) advice. 

Good luck

Comment

Working...
    X