This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network setup problem

I have a windows xp computer that I want to network with my kubuntu 12.4 machine,hard wired through a router. I have samba, and wicd. I'm not getting anywhere in either direction.

I'm not familiar with wicd.

Here is what I used to get started with Samba.
    Samba File Server
    sigpic

Comment

I think I'm missing something, I'm having trouble getting to the smb.conf file after I installed samba. Here is what I've tried and the results in root.
      sudo /etc/samba/smb.conf = command not found
      sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf = command not found
      sudo gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf = no protocol specified
      gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf = no protocol specified

Comment

Those commands are either formatted incorrectly or don't exist.

Let me guess: ex-Gnome user? If you're using Kubuntu, gksu and gedit aren't installed unless you installed them.

In the KDE environment, to run a GUI program from the terminal; use kdesudo. To run a non-gui program use sudo. The default GUI text editor is kate. To edit the samba config file using root privileges and a GUI editor, use the command;

kdesudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

Please Read Me

Comment

I am pretty new to Linux, I used Fedora for a short time before I started Kubuntu. With the command you specified, above, I get no protocol specified.

Comment

No connection to xserver maybe? Reboot.

Please Read Me

Comment

I rebooted, reinstalled samba and entered
              kdesudo kate /ect/samba/smb.conf = no protocol specified
              kdesudo : cannot connect to x server :0

Comment

Have you edited your sudoers file? It appears you have no sudo access. Try this to test:

sudo ls /root

If you don't get prompted for your password, you're not in sudoers

Please Read Me

Comment

When I first started I used sudo su -, then I was asked for a password. It appears I'm still in root and no password question came up when I entered sudo ls /root. The line terminal begins with root@Blevet:~$

Comment

exit that terminal and start over.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, I restarted terminal, when I entered the command sudo ls /root I was asked for a password and I was returned to the basic prompt.

Comment

Good. Now try the kdesudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

Please Read Me

Comment

jim@Blevet:~$ sudo ls /root
                          [sudo] password for jim:
                          jim@Blevet:~$ kdesudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf
                          QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                          Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
                          QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                          kbuildsycoca4 running...
                          QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                          QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus

Above is the result of entering your sugested command from above.

Comment

That looks like normal output to me.

Did kate open?

Please Read Me

Comment

I think kate did open. There is another window titled "smb.conf-kate". But, its a blank window ?? I was expecting something to edit.

Comment

Working...
                              X