Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I allocate more HD space for Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry - I should proof-read better. This line:

make a place to mount sda3: sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3

should have said:

make a place to mount sda3: sudo mkdir /mnt/sda3

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry, I should proof read better. Line fixed.

Please Read Me

Comment

FUBAR
        back-up kept stopping with message about running out of space
        I deleted a bunch of files but trash got too full then wouldn't work even after emptying. so I restarted the machine
        now I only have a Command line for login, but when I log in it only says
        Welcome to Ubuntu 11.10
        my login info and a cursor winking at me in derision
        Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Darn it, your partition got filled up. We needed two excluded folders, not one. But this should have filled up sda3, but not effected sda6 unless it filled tmp or something. Must be the trash. When you log in at the prompt, do df -h and see how much is available. If it's full, delete stuff from your home/.Trash-1000 and look at /.Trash-0 for root trash. Let me know when you're back up.

Please Read Me

Comment

dev/sda6 29G/29G 100% used
            udev 1.8G/13k 1% used
            tmpfs 688M/1.2M 1% used
            none 5.3M/0 0% used
            none 1.8G/0 0% used
            moving on to deleting stuff
            Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Whew! I had to learn some new commands having to do with deleting stuff...
              I'm back live

Comment

Originally posted by GranPaSmurf View Post
                Whew! I had to learn some new commands having to do with deleting stuff...
                I'm back live
                Thank goodness! I was afraid I was going to have to drive over to your house and fix this! That would be about a 1400 mile drive and with the price of gas - I'd be better off buying you a new computer!

This time, try this rdiff-backup command:

sudo rdiff-backup --exclude /home --exclude /mnt --exclude /tmp --exclude /proc / /mnt/sda3

This should take much less space. You should also clean off /dev/sda3 before doing it so all the stuff from before is not in the way. If you use Dolphin, don't "Move to Trash" the files, Delete them! Another way would be to re format (not re-partition) the file system;

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 01, 2014, 12:51 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah, but you would get to see lots of interesting country, like a desert that has been in a 7 year drought. Who would have thought that a desert could have a drought?
                  I finished the commands from your most recent message.
                  I've kinda' lost track of where we are in the grand scheme of HD allocation.
                  I went back to your earlier post and completed some steps:
                  Change this line by pasting the new UUID over the old one:

UUID=1db51d0b-ac03-4877-90e8-bc1539535790 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

Now, since we excluded your /home folder from the backup, we need to point the new install at your old home. Add this line:

#UUID=1db51d0b-ac03-4877-90e8-bc1539535790 /home ext4 defaults 0 2

Note the first character is the #: This means this line will be ignored for now. The problem is if we just mount your other partition as /home (we will eventually) your home folders and files will not be correctly available because they will be nested in /home/home. That won't work, and we don't want to move them yet - not until the new install boots. So we're going to add a couple lines that will do the job as is. Add these at the end to fstab too:

/dev/sda6 /mnt/home ext4 defaults 0 0
                  /mnt/home/home /home bind 0 0

What this does is mounts your old partition to /mnt/home, then "binds" (mounts a folder to a folder) your old home to /home so your new install can see it. Later, when we know all is well we will delete these lines. **NOTE** The end of the fstab file (like most files in linux) requires a blank line (carriage return) at the end. Simply add one extra "Enter" at the end before you save and close Kate.

Phew - a lot of work! Now let's update grub and see how we've done:

sudo update-grub

GRUB is now:
                  Generating grub.cfg ...
                  Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-32-generic
                  Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-32-generic
                  Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic
                  Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
                  Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
                  Found Ubuntu 13.10 (13.10) on /dev/sda5
                  done
                  Last edited by GranPaSmurf; Feb 01, 2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

OK, so you're booting to your older 11.10 install on sda6 and 13.10 is on sda5. Looks like it didn't find the copied install on sda3. Have you been using 13.10 up to now? Try booting to that and run update-grub there, although I doubt the results will change. I need to do a bit of checking - before we proceed: Do you want to keep both the 11.01 and 13.10 installs? We could move one to sda3, the other to sda4.

Please Read Me

Comment

no, I see no need for 2 installs.

granpasmurf@Petersen:~$ sudo update-grub
                      Generating grub.cfg ...
                      Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-32-generic
                      Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-32-generic
                      Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic
                      Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
                      Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
                      Found Ubuntu 13.10 (13.10) on /dev/sda5
                      done
                      Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I wonder why grub can't find sda3.

Let try something: First, get sda3 UUID

sudo blkid /dev/sda3 -o value | head -n 1

Copy it and then, mount sda3 and open it with Dolphin.

sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3

It should have all the normal looking folders plus one called "rdiff-backup-data."

Manually edit grub.cfg:

kdesudo kate /mnt/sda3/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Scroll down until you see:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

then in the menuentry section just below it and change the UUIDs to match sda3's that you copied above. While you have kate open as root, navigate to and edit /mnt/sda3/etc/fstab and change the UUIDs there too.

Now navigate too and edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom (not under /mnt/sda3). Add this paragraph:
                        Code:
                        menuentry 'SDA3' {
                        insmod gzio
                        insmod part_msdos
                        insmod btrfs
                        set root='hd0,msdos3'
                        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root <UUID OF SDA3 HERE>
                        configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                        }
                        Finally, save and close all the files and kate. Back in the terminal, make 40_custom executable;

sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Then run update-grub

sudo update-grub

If we did everything right, when you reboot you should see SDA3 in your grub menu. See if it boots.
                        Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 02, 2014, 02:30 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          I wonder why grub can't find sda3.

Let try something: First, get sda3 UUID

sudo blkid /dev/sda3 -o value | head -n 1

Copy it and then, mount sda3 and open it with Dolphin.

It should have all the normal looking folders plus one called "rdiff-backup-data."

Manually edit grub.cfg:

kdesudo kate /mnt/sda3/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Scroll down until you see:

I am embarrased to be such a noobie, but I hit a brick wall, again, early on.

granpasmurf@Petersen:~$ sudo blkid /dev/sda3 -o value | head -n 1
                          [sudo] password for granpasmurf:
                          cf388ed2-d38c-4ae4-9e16-caca379970c1
                          granpasmurf@Petersen:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3

I got this far, but I don't know where to go to open this in Dolphin nor how to find GRUB in order to edit it. in Dolphin, under 'Root/mnt/ there is 'home' which is empty and 'sda3' which has 'lost+found' which is empty.

Comment

Ok, let's start from scratch. Open a terminal and do this:

and then post the results of:

df -h

Please Read Me

Comment

granpasmurf@Petersen:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3
                              [sudo] password for granpasmurf:
                              mount: /dev/sda3 already mounted or /mnt/sda3 busy
                              mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda3 is already mounted on /mnt/sda3
                              granpasmurf@Petersen:~$ df -h
                              Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                              /dev/sda6 27G 22G 4.3G 84% /
                              udev 1.6G 12K 1.6G 1% /dev
                              tmpfs 656M 1.1M 655M 1% /run
                              none 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
                              none 1.6G 3.3M 1.6G 1% /run/shm
                              /dev/sda3 26G 172M 24G 1% /mnt/sda3
                              /dev/sda5 63G 29G 31G 49% /media/138c7e8a-ab14-461c-9bce-ed83424a14ba
                              /dev/sda4 26G 172M 24G 1% /media/f5832725-1864-49c2-87f7-8d7b464eae56
                              granpasmurf@Petersen:~$

Comment

Ok, so nothing is on sda3 yet. Assuming you haven't rebooted and everything is still mounted as above, now run:

sudo rdiff-backup --exclude /home --exclude /mnt --exclude /tmp --exclude /proc --exclude /media / /mnt/sda3

You should cut and paste that to prevent missing a character. Once that's complete, then open Dolphin and try the stuff from the post #41 again.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X