X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GParted, how to widen system partition?

Hi

I dont know if I can add free space to linux partition, this situation is showed below:
    http://imgur.com/4s5dlzH

How can I do it without lossing data from sda4?

Hmm. That's a very small partition! What is your end goal? How big do you want your Linux partition to be?

You could always create a partition in your unallocated section at the end of the disk, and then clone sda5 into it and delete sda5. That might actually be quicker.

Moving sda4 out of the way before you extend sda5 takes absolutely ages.

Alternatively, if you just need more space for data you can just create a new EXT4 partition in that unallocated space at the end of the disk and mount it under /data.

Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

No guarantees, but I've had success moving a windows partition, then afterward rebooting windows and running checkdisk.

The situation you're in has been caused by having your extended partition as #3 instead of #4. Thus all your free space is trapped and unusable to the "right" (end of the disk) of sda4.

The most permanent fix is for you to backup the entire linux partition and delete it. Then, move the windows partition all the way to the "left" (toward the beginning of the disk). Then reboot windows, run checkdisk and verify it's OK. Then re-create the extended partition as sda4 and remake your linux install partition as sda5. The other, easier option is to move windows all the way to the "right" and then the free space will be available to add to your extended partition.

Either way, this will take a lot of time and there is always a small risk windows won't like it. Don't do it during a thunderstorm (possible power outages) and make backups of anything you can't afford to lose.

If you opt to remove the linux and extended partitions, note the partition sector count of sda5 so you can re-create the replace in the exact same size. Then you can easily use dd to make a copy of your linux install and recreate it exactly as it is.

Another thing to note: Before you try and move the NTFS partition, boot into windows and de-frag as much as possible - several times if necessary. This will usually make the move go faster and reduce the likelihood of issues with windows after the move.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        Hmm. That's a very small partition! What is your end goal? How big do you want your Linux partition to be?

You could always create a partition in your unallocated section at the end of the disk, and then clone sda5 into it and delete sda5. That might actually be quicker.

Moving sda4 out of the way before you extend sda5 takes absolutely ages.

Alternatively, if you just need more space for data you can just create a new EXT4 partition in that unallocated space at the end of the disk and mount it under /data.

Feathers
        Feathers: IMO, this is not doable. MBR disks won't allow a 5th primary partition and the free space cannot be added to the extended partition because it's not adjacent. IF he's using GPT, it can be done the way you suggest, but if he is using GPT - Why use an extended partition at all?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          MBR disks won't allow a 5th primary partition and the free space cannot be added to the extended partition because it's not adjacent.
          Right you are, I had forgotten about that. Thanks for correcting me!

I think your solution about backing up the Linux partition (to an external drive), deleting sda5, and then creating a new extended partition in the unallocated space is probably the best idea.

There's not necessarily any need to move the Windows partitions unless that 24.44GB where sda5 is at the moment is really important.
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

There's not necessarily any need to move the Windows partitions unless that 24.44GB where sda5 is at the moment is really important.
            Excellent point. Much less work to let that part go until a more convenient time.

Of course, we both missed the over-all best solution: Remove Windows completely and never look back!

Please Read Me

Comment

Pahaha, that's ...difficult if your employer uses Windows, and you might one day need it to work from home via VPN or something.

When I get my new laptop it's going to be a Linux only laptop, and I'll keep the old one (which works, but has a few overheating problems) just in case I need to use Windows in the future. Free at last!
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

huh, so vivid discussion

let me describe the picture under my link http://imgur.com/4s5dlzH

sda1 - windows8
                sda2 - important files
                sda3(5) - linux
                sda4 - programs for widnows, game and all trash

If I understood you, you want me to remove sda3, install linux on newly created partition (139 GiB) and than join sda4 to the right (+24.44 GiB space for that partition) ?

If so, do I have to make it all, step by step or there is an swap or move option?

Sda1 and sda2 must be safe, it is untouchable.

edit:
                I have EFI bios if it is impotant, but both, win8 and kubuntu buts in legacy mode. I can't create more than 4 primary partitions ( i have it now)

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

The most permanent fix is for you to backup the entire linux partition and delete it. Then, move the windows partition all the way to the "left" (toward the beginning of the disk). Then reboot windows, run checkdisk and verify it's OK. Then re-create the extended partition as sda4 and remake your linux install partition as sda5. The other, easier option is to move windows all the way to the "right" and then the free space will be available to add to your extended partition.

Another thing to note: Before you try and move the NTFS partition, boot into windows and de-frag as much as possible - several times if necessary. This will usually make the move go faster and reduce the likelihood of issues with windows after the move.
                  you should chose one of these 2 options from post #3

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The absolute easiest way would be to back up anything on sda4 you need and then delete the partition. Then add all the free space to the extended (sda3) partition, expand the linux (sda5) partition as much as you need. Then create a new logical partition (sda6) for your windows games and trash.

Please Read Me

Comment

a lot of work to do. Can I format sda3, install linux on free space (139 GiB) and then extend sda4 on the right? It looks easier, but I don't know if extending partition "one the right" is safe?

Comment

Expanding to the right is how it is normal enlarged. Expanding a partition to the left is harder - it has to move then expand - two lengthy operations.

Really, you're sort of trapped by your current set up. One way or another, at least one of those partitions has to be deleted or you'll never get to the free space.

What I see is there's almost enough room on your windows C drive (sda1) partition to copy all the stuff from sda4 (drive E??). By your own words, there's some "trash" on there. Also, 23GB is plenty big enough for Kubuntu if you move your /home to another partition.

My suggestion>>>>
                        Boot to windows.
                        Move everything you want off of sda4 (drive E??) to your windows drive C.
                        Then boot to gparted live.
                        Delete sda4.
                        Enlarge sda3 to include all the free space.
                        Then, rather than expanding sda5 (Kubuntu), create a new logical partition (sda6) of 100GB or whatever you want to add to linux and move all your files under /home to it.
                        Then mount your Kubuntu partition (sda5) and edit /etc/fstab to mount sda6 as /home.
                        Then create sda7 whatever size you want and format it ntfs for windows.
                        Boot back to windows and move your stuff back to the new drive E.
                        Done.

This will leave you with 3 primary partitions and 3 logical partitions and all your space used.

sda1 : Primary Partition : Windows
                        sda2 : Primary Partition : Windows recovery (a guess)
                        sda3 : Extended partition
                        sda5 : Logical Partition : Kubuntu /
                        sda6 : Logical Partition : Kubuntu /home
                        sda7 : Logical Partition : Windows extra data

This to me seems the least amount of time and leaves you with a logical and very stable partitioning scheme.
                        Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 19, 2014, 01:29 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

In my last post i made a mistake, surely thee should be 'extending to the left'. I think i will do as you say, but I dont get what exacly is the difference between logical and priamry pratition?

Comment

See Disk partitioning
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Simply:

MBR partitioning allows only 4 Primary partitions, however 1 of the Primary partitions can be an Extended partition.
                              Logical partitions are created within an Extended partition.
                              File systems (formatting) can be done to Primary partitions and Logical partitions, but an Extended partition can contain only Logical partitions.
                              Due to naming limitations, you can only have up to 15 total accessible partitions using SATA drives.

Partition device names using Linux:
                              SATA drive device names are created using sd for "Scsi Device", a letter for each drive, and then numbers.
                              Numbers 1-4 are reserved for primary partitions.
                              All Logical partitions begin numbering at 5.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X