X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kubuntu really very stable?

Hi all,

I have a question: Which OS is more stable: Kubuntu 13.10 or Debian Testing (Jessie)?
    What about long-supported Kubutu. Is it better than short-supported ones, regarding safety and stability?
    I am not so sure, what kind of distribution I should choose.

Welcome to our forum.

Your question can't be answered objectively, as to many variables come into play on the hardware side. That said, Kubuntu 13.10; what I'm running, both 32- and 64-bit, is incredibly stable on my laptops. I've been using Kubuntu since 2007.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have the same experience on my laptop that Snowhog has.
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

Dittos to the above comments ... AND ... you won't find a better forum than this one, which focuses on Kubuntu.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm using the 12.04 lts release and i'm very happy with it. I used the 13.04 and i really liked it. The reason I use the 12.04 is because the ati's fglrx driver. I have a "legacy" card and I sometimes play one game. I think this is a really stable release, but I'm using the kubuntu backports ppa so the kde is up to date.

Comment

I've been using 13.10 on my Lenovo netbook and my desktop, and it's been very stable on both. I used 12.04 LTS before that and found it a little buggy (Flash and msfonts chiefly).

Comment

I would go with the Kubuntu LTS versions if you want long-term stability and don't want to upgrade to the latest 'bleeding-edge' version every few months. I'm quite happily using 12.04 LTS myself and don't intend to upgrade to the next LTS version (14.04) until I replace this old desktop PC.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I have had absolutely no issues with 12.04 or 13.10 and would recommend either for everyday use... especially for KDE latest and greatest / stability. I absolutely love 12.04, but recently put 13.10 on my laptop to prepare for 14.04. Being able to have the latest KDE and apps for both my systems have made Kubuntu a perfect fit in my environment (LTS release for server/desktop/everyday ironman and newest release for client/mobile). I believe you would be quite satisfied if you went with Kubuntu. I also agree with the statements on the forum, it is a great place to get help as well as just belong.

On a side note, I have also used Mepis in the past (very close to debian stable + testing) and have been very pleased! Recently though, it has not kept up with KDE as much as I would like (thus the full move to Kubuntu). Although, it does mix awesome stability with up-to-date apps (thanks Mepis Community!). Getting to my point, if you did want to go the Debian route, you might check Mepis out as well (plus - also has a great forum).
                Last edited by benny_fletch; Jan 16, 2014, 09:40 PM.
                Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Ditto to what Snowhog said. You can see what I'm using in my sig below. Been using Kubuntu since about 2006. Never really had issues.

Comment

It is so dam# #$%^&*( stable that I am using Tahr as my work machine.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by BlueShark View Post
                      I am not so sure, what kind of distribution I should choose.
                      Unless you're already reasonably familiar with the internals of Debian, I would not recommend it for use as a desktop operating system. You will spend more time locating, downloading, installing, and maintaining drivers for hardware (especially nVidia, ATI, various wireless cards). Various packages are less integrated (for example, components of a functional multimedia player, particularly codecs). And the packaged KDE is sometimes one or two releases behind.

That said, if you're willing to invest the time to learn the details about the package manager, third party repositories, and possibly compiling drivers, Debian allows you to construct a machine that's more "yours."

Comment

Working...
                      X