X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to ... [system personalistion]

Hi

I have just installed kubuntu and I would like to set some options (dunno how).
    You can give me links to tutorials or just give simple commands to write in terminal, I will be gratefull.

I would like to:
    - copy/paste via ctr+c/ctr+v in terminal
    - have "mouse active windows" (not like windows, only the top window is activated)
    - winkey bind to start menu (or how you call it in linux?)
    - check grammar of wirtten text in 2 languages
    - grabbing window for the top bar, and hitting it on left/right side of windows cause expand window for 1/2 of sccreen width and all lenght (now it is 1/2 width and 1/2 lenght)

- copy/paste via ctr+c/ctr+v in terminal
    crtl-c is keyboard interrupt in a terminal so it doesn't work. Konsole can copy with ctrl + shift + c, and paste with ctrl + shift + v. Right click and the context menu will show these shortcuts. shift-insert is the normal paste function for terminals. There is also a buffer. Selected text is automatically added to this buffer, and middle click automatically pastes it. ctrl + shift + insert will also paste from this buffer. I don't know how to highlight text without a mouse.

- have "mouse active windows" (not like windows, only the top window is activated)
    You can change mouse/window behavior in System Settings > Window Behavior > Activating Windows > Policy. It's a slider bar that steps you thgough the various options. Default is "Click to Focus." Try "Focus Follows Mouse - Mouse Precedence" to see if it offers what you want.

- winkey bind to start menu (or how you call it in linux?)
    The winkey ("meta_key" in linux) can be used however you want. Change your keyboard shortcuts in System Settings > Shortcuts and Gestures. It's bound to a lot of functions, so you'll have to make some edits. I use this key for alternate text symbols, so on mine it's set as "multikey."

- grabbing window for the top bar, and hitting it on left/right side of windows cause expand window for 1/2 of sccreen width and all lenght (now it is 1/2 width and 1/2 lenght)
    If you grab the top bar, move the mouse to the side, and then slide up and down - you should see the change from "full-half-screen" to "upper-quarter" and "lower-quarter" of the side you've selected.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 14, 2014, 08:49 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks a lot, now I have really stupid problem

I thought 'admin' option in account manager is like in windows (admin = root), now i know admin in linux means you can use root acc. I dont hae admin permissions now and there is only my account on my camputer. Do I have to use live cd to change account's settings or there is any easier method to get back my permissions?

Comment

The first user you create is the admin user. K(U)buntu uses a slightly different way of administering the system, in that there is no root account by default.

For the most part, any time you run a program or change a setting that needs admin privileges, it will prompt you for your password when it needs it. For example, using Muon Package Manager, you will get the password prompt when you apply changes after selecting packages, or for editing software sources.

When using Konsole, you get admin rights by using "sudo" before the command.
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Be careful using "sudo" in a terminal to open a gui program (such as Dolphin), as that can make a mess of file permissions in your home directory.

If you need to run a GUI program that doesn't normally run with Admin rights, you would run it using the "kdesudo" command. i.e. :
        Code:
        kdesudo dolphin
        to open the file manager with full read/write privileges.

Outside of needing a root file manager, there should be extremely few instances of having to use kdesudo.

As an aside, KDE used to have windows go to half-screen when you "threw" it to the side or top. That seems to be different now.

Comment

what exacly is the difference between kdesudo and sudo?

Btw. you didn't understand me. There is only one account on this computer (mine) and I removed my administrator rights. Now I donbt have permission to use sudo :P How to fix it? Live cd will be enaught or i have to reinstall system?

Comment

kdesudo is used for root rights running a graphical program like Dolphin. sudo is used for non-graphical commands in terminal mode or in a konsole.

Re. admin rights. No you do not have to re-install. Boot into "recovery" mode, select file system check. When the file system check is done, it will offer you root access terminal mode. You will then be "root" in terminal mode. Add your user to the admin groups or what ever groups you need - at least adm, lpadmin and sudo. You should then be able to reboot and have sudo access.

groups <USERNAME>

prints current groups. Then do:

addgroup <USERNAME> sudo
            addgroup <USERNAME> adm

etc., until you're done.

Please Read Me

Comment

thanks for helpi I needed also this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/84277...-recovery-mode

Meybe somebody else will use it
              Last edited by SerCubus; Jan 14, 2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X