This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey im new to forums but need help on something

ive been trying all day to get my webcam working I have a dell inspiron 1525 I believe I need a ucvideo driver but have no clue where to get it on kubuntu

Hi
    And welcome to a most friendly and helpful forum.

I checked in what is called "synaptic" did not find such.

We don't have any "background" for you so we would not know if you are experienced or new from the Windows world.

It would be of great help if you would be specific about which particular release of Kubuntu you are using.

So, please post that and I am sure that someone will be along shortly to suggest which driver you might use.

You can also just "google" the card on the net along with "Ubuntu" and possibly get a faster answer.

Again, welcome and please hang tight!

woodsmoke

Comment

I have checked all around for the driver but cant find anything,Im pretty new to linux but know how to run the terminal am new from the windows world,The kubuntu version im running is 13.10 32 bit its my wifes computer and she would like to use skype, It worked for like 10 seconds then just stopped, No blue light for webcam or nothing, everythings saying cant find device,Cheese just comes up black screen

Comment

Click on K > System > Muon Package Manager then click on Settings > Configure Software Sources. Enter your password and press Enter. On the Kubuntu Software tab ensure that all items are checked except Software code (you won't need that). Click on the Updates tab and ensure that under Kubuntu updates everything is checked. Click Close and let the package updates complete. Close Muon Package Manager.

Press Ctrl+F2 and type konsole and press enter. At the prompt type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        You will most likely see a large number of packages to be upgraded. Accept and wait until finished.

You may or may not be prompted to reboot to complete the update. If you are, logout/reboot. Try Skype after you have logged back in.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok i will try that

Comment

worked like a charm thanks

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums . Net.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X