This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

packages and package downloading

I`m new to linux and I have a question about packages. I have Kubuntu DVD, so I suppose that most of packages should be included in it, but I don`t know how to find them and install. The only thing I found was Adept but it downloads packages from the net. I`d like to be able to install them from the DVD because if wouldn`t be connected to the internet I wouldn`t be able to install most of programs this way. So how can I install software from the DVD instead from the net?

Also where should I put .rpm files? It`s needed for firefox install, I`ve got it but I don`t know where to put it so that the install application would know that it`s there.

Re: packages and package downloading

Hi,

In fact most of packages, you'll receive them from the net (go to take them, more...) Anyway, if you're not connected, the only differences will be on install (the file /etc/apt/sources.list will have no active internet source and only the dvd or cd)
    For the rpm question, you shouldn't use rpm packages as kubuntu is a debian based distro, it's using .deb, so try to get .deb files to install, it will be easier.
    Anyway, the easiest way to install is by the net.

Hope it helps.

Comment

hmmm ok, but my point is that if I`ll fe to the country which I do from time to time and my comp breaks (it happens unusually often there I will be able to install kubuntu but I won`t be able to install fe. eclipse, firefox etc. because they`re downloaded from the net. But aren`t at least, some of most frequently used programs (like firefox) on kubuntu dvd? I think they are or at least that`s what I`ve heard, on the dvd. So there should be some way to intall the dvd versions of those programs - though they are older than the ones found in the net but at least you could have something...

Comment

Originally posted by beholder
        hmmm ok, but my point is that if I`ll fe to the country which I do from time to time and my comp breaks (it happens unusually often there I will be able to install kubuntu but I won`t be able to install fe. eclipse, firefox etc. because they`re downloaded from the net. But aren`t at least, some of most frequently used programs (like firefox) on kubuntu dvd? I think they are or at least that`s what I`ve heard, on the dvd. So there should be some way to intall the dvd versions of those programs - though they are older than the ones found in the net but at least you could have something...
        You could download an ubuntu alternate installation CD and use that as an extra package repository (it has things like firefox on it)...though if installing from the net is a hassle, you might give konqueror a shot as a browser...after all, it comes installed on kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          Originally posted by beholder
          You could download an ubuntu alternate installation CD and use that as an extra package repository [...]
          and if I would then how should I install things from that CD?

Comment

Working...
          X