This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wine or VMWare

So I do like Kubuntu but... I need to run some aplications for me to make the switch. I have been tryin for 2 days now to get either wine or VMWare to work.

I loaded wine with Automatix for Kubuntu then ran winecfg in the konsole. Now what? I can't find wine anywhere. And can I use it to run the windows programs like Flash 8 and corelDraw9 from my windows dual boot drive? how does it work?

Plus, I tried to install VMWare with adept and it froze on the EULA. And the ok button in the command prompt window wouldn't work in adept. how can I install this, and when I do how do i run it?

Re: wine or VMWare

Hi

With wine select the the progam you want to open and it should come up with an 'Open with box' type in wine, that should do it. with vmware i had problems got it going eventually used a patch from a guide but cannot remember exactly where. Maybe some one else knows

Comment

Originally posted by tmray
      Plus, I tried to install VMWare with adept and it froze on the EULA. And the ok button in the command prompt window wouldn't work in adept.
      Adept is not famous for it's ability to handle mid-installation license agreements, you should install it with the CLI tools apt-get or aptitude (or GUI tool synaptic if you have it installed)

Comment

For wine, what you do is set the settings for wine in winecfg, then you just run windows programs with the command: "wine program_name.exe".'

You can check the wine compatibility database at appdb.winehq.org to see how well a certain program works.

Comment

I installed the synaptic package manager and installed VMware.
          This cured the terminal approval problem but at the end I got this error message:

E: vmware-player: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

And in the terminal window it said this:

VMware Player is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured for the running kernel. To (re-) configure it, invoke the following command: /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl

So I opened Konsole and ran:

/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl

And this is what happened:

bash: /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl: No such file or directory

So now what can I do?

I even uninstalled they whole thing and re-installed it and the exact thing happened.

Comment

I have a problem with VMware too.

I went to the website and got the .rpm and .tar.gz for server edition, converted them using alien, and installed them but i cannot seem to get the to work. there is not icon, when i type it in console or run command box it says not a command.

when i go to the root there is a folder called vmware-server-distrib
            inside there is folders like;
            installer
            lib
            man
            bin
            doc
            sbin
            vmware-vix

why would VMware server not be anyware?

I did get wine working though : )
            i just used the .deb of the web site...

Comment