This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates through command line or gui

Is it just me or is the adept GUI a little buggy and sluggish and that the command line is way faster less buggy and causes less system error's then the GUI? I came to Linux back in the days of Red hat 6.0 and I admit that i didn't get very far with red hat 6.0 because I didn't like the command line. however over the years i have had a yearning to go get Linux again and slowly I have learned things that i take for granted. but through all this i have come to enjoy the command line better. Sorry I'm not sure this goes in this section anymore because I have kind of gone off topic. so is it safer to use the command line for updates then it is to use the Adept GUI or is it my imagination.

Re: Updates through command line or gui

It's not safer... it may work more reliably or be less sluggish, but they're both equally "safe."
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I have found over the years of using Linux that most GUI package managers aren't that reliable. Or not as reliable as using the package manager from the CLI. I rely on the CLI for all updating and installing of packages simply because......it works. I don't recommend even a new user use a GUI package manager. I'd much rather take a few minutes to an hour teaching them how to use the package manager from CLI and let them get things right the first time around. Just my personal opinion of course.

Comment

I've never had trouble with Synaptic (Not exactly true, I had some problems with it on a rpm distro, but that's another story), but I haven't used Adept enough to make a conclusion either way.

I think the package managers outshine the CLI tools when it comes to troubleshooting and doing large upgrades...it's much easier to keep track of what affects what with the GUI tools (Sometimes large upgrades don't go without a hitch, so the GUI tools make it easier to find out what is wrong...you can do this with CLI tools, too, it's just not as easy)

I do find the CLI tools are (at least) as reliable when performing the actual upgrades

Comment

Working...
        X