This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Question on proprietary drivers

Besides the obvious that proprietary drivers go against my belief and many in the Linux community. Is there usually a big difference in performance between non-proprietary drivers and proprietary drivers. or is it more of a matter of there are so many different pieces of hardware that the Linux community cant keep up with the demands (in rare cases) and that one has no choice but to use proprietary drivers or loose the hardware. which one is generally a better performer or is there? I have never had a problem with my no-proprietary drivers before. However i should note i have never made a point to use such drivers. (on linux)

Re: A Question on proprietary drivers

Proprietary drivers for video cards are neccesary if you want to use proprietary features of the card, like 3D rendering acceleration. If you're not a gamer, and all you want is a display that doesn't flicker so much it gives you a headache, you probably don't need the proprietary driver. Proprietary drivers may be needed for your sound card, if you have the hardware and the ear that demands them. If you use your sound card to play home rips of old mono recordings of 50's and 60's rock and roll, so that it will drown out the construction project across the street, you don't need a proprietary driver. If you have a wireless adapter on your computer from a manufacturer who does not provide driver information to Linux, you need to use ndiswrapper with the windows, proprietary driver.

Comment

Working...
    X