This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Frequency

I'm new to Kubuntu but not Ubuntu. When I install Ubuntu Dapper, I notice there's immediately a ton of updates necessary. When I install Kubuntu Dapper, I don't see any updates in Adept. I'm wondering if this is correct, or if I'm not using Adept correctly, permissions problem or something?

Re: Update Frequency

I'm just guessing, but it might have to do with GNOME. That's the GUI that comes with Ubuntu. Kubuntu is KDE. That may account for the difference.

Comment

If you downloaded the Kubuntu 6.06.1 LTS installer, that will be more up to date than the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS installer, so you won't have that much updates.

Another possible scenario is that you had an internet connection while installing Kubuntu, so the latest updates were already downloaded during the installation.

And yet another possible scenario is that you didn't have an active internet connection when you logged into Kubuntu, so there was no way for Adept Notifier to check for updates.

@robins_web: As of Kubuntu Dapper, Adept now also has it's Adept Notifier, which functions similarly to the GNOME notifier.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm pretty confident that it's working. I used the latest download of Kubuntu and had an internet connection, so it probably grabbed updates during install. I've also installed Automatix, and when my sources list changed, my Adept notifier popped up (and went away when I changed back to old list). Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Comment

Of course the newest KDE/Koffice/Amarok packages aren't available from the main repos or with 6.06.1...you have to add the kubuntu.org repositories to upgrade those.

Comment

Could you point me to a link for those or a sources list?

I didn't realize that Kubuntu had it's own repo's...

Appreciate it.

Comment

You can use source-o-matic to add the kubuntu.org repos to your sources.list:
              http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic

(just scroll down until you find them)

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X