This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to "freeze" upon installation

Hi, first post here, Heard alot good about Kubuntu, gonna try it out.

So it loads the kernel and goes the through loading of misc items, then refreshes the screen, and sits at this screen for about 20-25 minutes, and doesn't do a dang thing.

[img width=400 height=300]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2332/0819061719dr3.jpg[/img]

Anyone have any idea why its doing that? I turned the overclock off on my PC, and its running stock, so thats not a possibility.

Specs:

Sempron 2800
    Biostar Motherboard GeForce6100-M7
    ATI Radeon X800GTO
    1GB RAM DDR400
    Samsung CD/RW

Thanks

r3sil3

Re: Seems to "freeze" upon installation

Please help anyone........Id really like to get this distro up and running.

Comment

Just tried again........still same problem.........it loads all the drivers all that crap......then sits there forever.....

Please help!

Comment

Hi,

Did you make a checksum of the cd ?
        Another idea, would be to set acpi=off apic=off on boot time to see if it's not hardware not recognized on first boot.

Cheers

Comment

How exactly do I do that? Im new to this stuff and still trying to figure everything out. I was told abotu Kubuntu as it is the "easier" of other OS's to learn.

Thank.

Comment

I am having exactly the same problem, but only when using the AMD64 architecture. I have AMD64 X2 4600+ processor, and I was originally told the X86 architecture would work as it is better supported. Have you tried this?
            Until some genius helps me I too will be stuck on a blue bar screen.

Comment

Ok, yesterday an update of xserver-xorg-core was released with a bug that left a lot of systems unable to boot into X. To see if this is the problem, reboot your computer, and press esc when you see Grub loading. This will display a list of boot options, one of which will be recovery mode. Boot into recovery, and when the text stops flowing, type

apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10

Press enter. If it gives you a warning about downgrading, select "y" and continue. When it finishes installing, type reboot and hit enter.

If your computer boots normally, the X update was the problem. When your desktop loads, you will notice an update icon on the task bar. Do not update xserver unless it is version 0ubuntu10.4

Of course, if this doesn't work, post the results and someone on this forum will probably be able to help.

Josh

Comment

Working...
              X