This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display resolution

I feel really stupid posting this but I can't figure out how to change my display resolution. I'm going to check your documentation. I also can't figure out how to install programs. I've used linux for years. Mostly gentoo and debian. I can't get use to this gui interface. Thanks in advance

Hi there, mystified. First of all, there are no stupid questions, so please don't feel stupid for asking for help with something, okay?

Second, your display resolution should be under Settings | System Settings | Display & Monitor | Size & Orientation (although its wording/choices may be different depending on which version of Kubuntu you're using).

Finally, installing programs is literally a snap. Since this is Linux, there are many ways of doing things--everything from command line only to GUI only. What I recommend is Synaptic (a package manager), because it's the best, in my opinion. It's probably not installed by default on your Kubuntu (it would be if you were using Ubuntu), but it's easy enough to get. Once it's installed you can use it to browse thousands of available programs and then install them with a simple click or two. Nothing hard or cryptic or mysterious about it at all! Please post again if you want to use Synaptic and you need help installing it.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Muon package manager (kickoff>applications>system) is your default package manager (like synaptic) Muon software center is something different .

if you prefer the CLI you will want "apt-get" (see the manual page "man apt-get" ) and "dpkg" maby in a pinch .

so if you were going to dich Muon and install synaptic it would be
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      if you just added a new repo to get something you will want to refresh the package cache like this
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

thanks so much for the help. everything worked great!!!

Comment

Fantastic!
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
          X