Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving back to default from Nvidia drivers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving back to default from Nvidia drivers?

I have installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers via the Additional Drivers. If I want to stop using the Nvidia drivers do I just disable them in Additional Drivers or do I have to reinstall the Nouveau drivers in Muon?

thanks

All tyou should have to do is uninstall the nvidia drivers.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

The Nouveau driver is in the kernel and will load even if you don't have xserver-xorg-video-nouveau installed.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So do I just disable the nvidia driver in 'Additional Drivers' or uninstall it via Muon?

I am swapping to a different Nvidia card and I assume I should uninstall the current drivers and then reinstall with the new card in place?

Comment

If you diable the NVidia driver and then uninstall it when you boot up the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau driver will be loaded by Plymounth. If that package has also been deleted then Plymouth will you the Nouveau driver embedded in the kernel. After you change to the new video card just reboot and see how the Nouveau performs. In my situation I found that I got better performance than with the Bumblebee/optimus Nvidia driver, so I removed Bumblebee.

If it turns out that Nouveau isn't working up to your expectations then install the binary from Nvidia that is recommended for your new card and activate it in the "Additional Drivers".
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X