This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom display resolution

Hi, new here, I've searched the forums, And Google but can't find an exact answer to my problem (I'm 100% certain it's already been answered , I just can't find it).

Anyhow I've just moved from openSUSE KDE 13.1 RC to Kubuntu 13.10.

My laptop (native resolution of 1366x768) is connected to my 1080p TV via HDMI, I need to clone the display across both screens (have always done this).

The issue is that the closest resolution my TV offers is 1360x768 which results in a small strip been chopped of the right edge of my TV display.

I generated a modeline with CVT and successfully made 1366x768 available to my TV via the following commands.

xrandr --newmode "1368x768_60.00" 85.25 1368 1440 1576 1784 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
    xrandr --addmode HDMI1 1366x768
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1366x768

But upon logout or reboot the custom resolution is lost and my TV reverts to an extended display at 1920x1080.

So basically I need to make the custom resolution both permanent and preferred.

Thanks for any help.

Lets start by asking for the missing information, what type of video card and driver are you using?

Kubuntu does standard not come with an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but you can make one and it will be used.
    The nVidia utility will allow you to save changes to such a file, in case you use Intel it can be done with a text editor like Kate.
    If you still have (a back up of) your Suse install you can probably copy it across.

Start with having a look at this site:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config

Comment

Hi, sorry it's an Intel HD3000

I've added the xrandr lines to /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup and this has fixed the problem with one slight caveat.

On boot up my TV is at 1080p right up untill /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup is called which is also when the login screen appears, The sudden change from 1080p to 1366x768 leaves the login box at the bottom right of my screen instead of centered.

I realise it's only a very minor issue but it's really bugging me.

I know the xorg.conf approach would probably fix this as the resolution change would be made before KDM loads -(I think), But xorg.conf and it's settings are a bit beyond my skill level at the moment.

Comment

Just use KScreen. When you plug a screen in, it restores the settings from the last time you used that particular screen. So let's say I have a 1080p monitor at home and a 720p monitor at work. I can have different setups for each screen but when I plug my laptop in, it remembers my configuration for that screen and restores it. So much easier unless I'm missing something.

Comment

Working...
        X