This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

always bad luck for me

I've been scanning the forum for quite a while now. and I've googled like crazy.
    There's never any sound, I can get it to PLAY mp3's I just can't hear them. I've checked the sound permissions and root has no sound either.

someone offer some insight into what I can do. My sound card is recognized, I've checked.

Re: always bad luck for me

Ugh This could be anything. Sound in kubuntu for me sometimes works and sometimes doesnt (does right now I'm pleased to say)

First of all make sure your system is bang up to date.

type
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

then after reoot if still "bad luck" I think we need a bit more info.

Have you installed codecs to play MP3's?- this will not work out of the box you have to actually do something to make this work - there are various ways. For example - see

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=177646

OK - so lets assume that its not just MP3's - you can't get any sound at all - Lets try this
    When you say your sound card is recognised - what do you mean? As well as your sound card - do you have on board sound (on your motherboard)? If you do, can I refer you to this thread where I answer a similar query

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7932.0

If you don't have onboard sound, then at least try the steps in the thread above which refer to alsamixer.

Comment

Re: always bad luck for me

Also, have you checked in alsamixer to verify that none of the settings are muted or turned all the way down ? This happens all the time to users as there will be something muted or one of the important settings are turned all the way down.

Not to be rude, but are you sure your speakers are plugged in properly, are they turned on and the volume turned up as well ? Always gotta check the basics.

Comment

Working...
      X