This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi Doesn't Accept Passwords

When I try to connect to the wireless router, the password prompt pops up, and no matter what I do it just keeps popping up again.

I know the wifi works, because it works from windows, bodhi linux, and my cell phone.

I know that the card on that computer works because it connect fine under bodhi linux.

I have the password saved in the network manager, and it is set to all users now, as some other threads suggested, yet it still keeps prompting me for a password, even though I have provided one.

KWallet never prompts me at all, although I have checked and it is installed and enabled.

This is a completely fresh install. I had a 12.10 CD at hand, so I installed that and the wifi didn't work, so I upgraded over a wired connection, and now it's 13.10 and the wifi still doesn't work.

This is literally the only thing I have done on this computer, so I'm fairly confident I didn't accidentally change some setting without knowing it. I just installed kubuntu (reformatting the drive in the process), upgraded kubuntu, and tried to access my wifi. Zero other actions have been taken, because I don't want to go to the trouble of setting all my stuff up if the install is going to be useless anyways.

I was sorta hoping to try KDE again after some years after having messed around with some other desktops for a bit, but this is a kinda major issue. Any ideas as to what I might be missing?

My Wireless Security screen:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	NetworkmanagerWirelessSecurity.png
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	640497
    Check the Security type and ensure it matches what you have set in the Router. You can check the Show password box so you can verify what you are typing in.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Check the Security type and ensure it matches what you have set in the Router. You can check the Show password box so you can verify what you are typing in.
      I have done so. Everything is correct. Still, it tries to connect, waits about thirty seconds, then asks for the password again, infinitely.

Also, after another test, it gives no different results if I supply the wrong password.

Comment

try removing the connection from the list and then re-creating it ......dose it connect now ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Try to make a connection via the command line, it might pinpoint to where the problem is.
          =============

$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
          # This will list the available ESSID's like "myconnection".

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "myconnection"
          # This will connect to access point "myconnection"

$ sudo dhclient wlan0
          # This will set up DNS.

# In case of WPA security:
          $ wpa_passphrase YOURSSID YOURWIFIPASSWORD

Now you should have access.
          ================================

Comment

Deleting the connection and recreating makes no difference, the error persists.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            Try to make a connection via the command line, it might pinpoint to where the problem is.
            =============

$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
            # This will list the available ESSID's like "myconnection".

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "myconnection"
            # This will connect to access point "myconnection"

$ sudo dhclient wlan0
            # This will set up DNS.

# In case of WPA security:
            $ wpa_passphrase YOURSSID YOURWIFIPASSWORD

Now you should have access.
            ================================
            When I try this, it hangs indefinitely when I run "sudo dhclient wlan0", not giving me any sort of internet access. With -v, it gives the following feedback:

Code:
            Listening on LPF/wlan0/24:ec:99:10:e9:95
            Sending on   LPF/wlan0/24:ec:99:10:e9:95
            Sending on   Socket/fallback
            DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3 (xid=0x31ef6838)
            DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4 (xid=0x31ef6838)
            The DHCPDISCOVER line repeats infinitely.

Comment

the fact that the "wallet" is enabeld but not giving a popup is disturbing ,,,,,as it should be unless you gave it a blank password the first time it poped up.

open the wallet and go to it's settings and disabel the wallet subsystem ,,,,,,,remove and re-create the wireless connection once more ,,,,,,,,,can it connect now.
              what kind of encryption are you using ?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                the fact that the "wallet" is enabeld but not giving a popup is disturbing ,,,,,as it should be unless you gave it a blank password the first time it poped up.

open the wallet and go to it's settings and disabel the wallet subsystem ,,,,,,,remove and re-create the wireless connection once more ,,,,,,,,,can it connect now.
                what kind of encryption are you using ?

VINNY
                With the wallet disabled, the connection deleted and re-created, the issue persists. With the wallet then re-enabled and given a password to check for, it does prompt to open the wallet, and then has the same recurring error.

The connection lists the security type as "WPA & WPA2 Personal". Under windows, it works with "WPA2-Personal", and under android it works with "WPA/WPA2 PSK". The connection editor GUI doesn't seem to display encryption type, so I'm not sure how to check that, but the connection under windows is using AES, which I thought was the default for WPA2, so I just assumed it was being used.

Comment

do a
                  Code:
                  lspci -v
                  copy and past the part about your wireless card hear along with the output of
                  Code:
                  ifconfig -a
                  and
                  Code:
                  iwconfig
                  and
                  Code:
                  lsmod
                  VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Possibly a 13.10 bug? Similar issues that have popped up in the last week:
                    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...light=wireless
                    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...light=wireless

Comment

Working...
                    X